Maloof rocker-The after class shaping-Legs into seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well today was scary-more on that later.
Here's where the legs were as of Sunday eve.

Here's the amount on material that I took out Monday(in white):

One note here: In class I turned my legs rough - now this was the 1st time I had ever turned ANYTHING and frankly they didn't turn out that well, so I also re-profiled and tapered my legs as follows:

and here's what they look like ready to be glued into the seat:

But 1st I had to finish profiling and sanding the seat-once the legs start to go in, it gets harder and harder to manipulate:

What we're going for here is nice crisp lines outlining the seat and no bumps on any of the surfaces. This sounds easier than it is, and quite frankly I did my best for this one, but we'll see when the stain goes on later(But now I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself)
So, now that the seat's ready we've got to drill the legs and seat for the screws-and HERE'S WHERE IT GOT SCARY!
The 1st part was easy:

In class we all got a taste of how HARD sapele is-now I was ready for this, but for the front legs I am using 2 1/2 long screws. I've had really bad experiences with screws breaking on my miter saw station so I invested in some good quality square drive screws. I also pre-drilled the correct pilot holes and even pre-drilled a test screw, but STILL the sound that these screws made when driving into the joint was like TORTURE. Every turn I was afraid the head was going to pop off. I got lucky though.
So now I'm ready to glue the front legs into the seat:

and here's the final result for today:

Tomorrow it's on to finishing the back legs and the arms and hopefully getting those 2 glued into the seat:eusa_pray.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
We've got to get your threads into the "how to" forum.

Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
First time turning anything? :swoon: Those look GREAT Mike! :notworthy: Man, that is some truly impressive and beautiful work. Looks like I'll be finishing with you today (tonight). May the finishing gods be with us! :eusa_pray

Rock on Garth! :headbang:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Progressing well dude. You know I've always had the nightmare of gluing the wrong leg on the wrong side. It pays to be extra extra careful when the epoxy is on at this stage.

Keep it up. Just remember to don't rush, and sand, sand, sand.... When you think you've got it smooth you are half way there. :)

John

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You can find paraffin wax at the grocery store. Usually in the same section as the trash bags, aluminum foil etc. I bought four blocks for $2.47. Works pretty well, and won't stain some woods like soap might. Beeswax is good too, but more expensive.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Travis and Bas-good ideas with the soap and wax. I actually used the paraffin wax (canning wax) that Bas was talking about on these screws and still the sound. I'll get another shot tonight as we get to drive 3inchers into the rear legs and 3 1/2inchers into the arms. Thanks for the advice!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Also-made my 1st mistake-not a biggy-but I get to have a extra decorative design element because of it-any ideas/guesses? More on that later.....

woodguy1975

New User
John
You can find paraffin wax at the grocery store. Usually in the same section as the trash bags, aluminum foil etc. I bought four blocks for $2.47. Works pretty well, and won't stain some woods like soap might. Beeswax is good too, but more expensive.

Just one issue with waxing the screws. If you can't get to a screw to tighten it as the wood expands and contracts you need to be very careful with screws. Screws are a maintenance joint. They require tightening with time due to expansion and contraction. The Smithsonian actually did an article about screws and wood jointery. Screws in endgrain add very little strength. The fibers are oriented in the wrong direction for the threads to bite.

Guys who use screws in their chairs recommend using epoxy on those screws to prevent them from losening with expansion and contraction. I completely agree with this.

Good Luck,

John

BTW, please let me know if I sound a bit preachy. I've spent a long time looking into the best ways to do things especially in reguards to maloof rockers so I can tend to look at things like this in a very black and white manner.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah, you sound preachy. BUT, in this case it is justified, that is very good information on the screws. I know they won't hold in end grain, but I didn't know about putting epoxy on the threads to help them hold. :icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
Yeah, you sound preachy. BUT, in this case it is justified, that is very good information on the screws. I know they won't hold in end grain, but I didn't know about putting epoxy on the threads to help them hold. :icon_thum

I'm always concerned about the preachy part.... It is hard for me to take the instructor hat off at times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors