mahogany bed update

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Working on mahogany 4 post bed. All work by hand. Will have 4 - 7ft barley twist posts.
Built a larger spring pole lathe to work the posts. Moving into the fun part. Will post a few as it comes together.
Mr obvious discoveries
Scrub plane
hand router
reading grain
story boards
toothing bevel up plane
Cheers
John / 02blues :icon_thum
DSC_1441.JPG

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looking good and beautiful pictures...

Going the traditional route has got to be pretty cool ... and a LOT of work and time! Keep us updated!

02blues

New User
john
Thank you. I do take photos of about every stage esp if it looks a little artistic. The mahogany is amazing stuff. It is very rewarding to work it by hand...however I noticed that I bought the wood last march! It is not a fast process. Especially when you have to make other tools like a large lathe, wooden screws and a steam box for the project. Oh well. I'm in no rush. That would take the fun out of it.
This was my trial run with the mahogany. Plan to use this finish (dye, stain, shellac).:icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Nice lathe.Can't wait to see the post finished.Gonna be fun carving them like the candle sticks.I think the candle stick pattern would make an awesome cane.Tony

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
What are you going to steam? Man, you are really doing this the ole timey way aren't you. Looks like you have a good start and just think, you can tell your kids, dad did this like the oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold timers.:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; Great job, look forward to seeing it finished.

Mike

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
John, you are a true craftsman. I can't imagine the time it must take to do what you do. I hope to be able to do that too someday. The bed is coming along nicely. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

02blues

New User
john
What are you going to steam? Man, you are really doing this the ole timey way aren't you. Looks like you have a good start and just think, you can tell your kids, dad did this like the oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold timers.:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; Great job, look forward to seeing it finished.

Mike

I did convert from power tools and have not looked back. I admire those who use them, I am just too nervous about them following a kick back injury. My work is not perfect though I am learning a ton along the way. Each project brings a new skill and hopefully a new / old tool. That said I love the peace and quite that the hand tools bring. The history of wood working is as interesting to me as the project itself.

To answer your question the steam box was built to make a recurved "bow" bow and arrow. The bow was to be used on the 7ft lathe...snapped shortly after I made it. Converted to another spring pole device that is working fine but you cant see it in the photo. (temporarily gave up on the treadle)

Steamed / bent wood projects are future goals and so I used the lathe as an excuse to build one.

The bed was an excuse for the second lathe.

Me? I have no excuses... but I don't give up easily!:icon_thum:icon_thum
Thanks for the feed back.

02blues

New User
john
Trent Jeff and Chuck.
Thanks for the encouragement. You all motivate me!
The steam box was for the recurved bow for the lathe see comment above. Formed well. Looked good. Snapped in use!!! Must have read the grain wrong? A newbie mistake I am sure.
The cedar steam box is crazy and fun. Makes the neighbors a bit nervous too!!:icon_cheers
I like to keep em guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS