Made my first tote tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I picked up a #5 from James Davis last week (thanks James for the plane and thanks Bryan for actually doing the "picking up"!). I decided to set it up as a fore plane. After some slight tuning, putting a camber on the blade and honing it is taking heavy shavings with ease:

69CG8955.JPG

View image in gallery

However the tote is loose and is a torture device:

So I downloaded instructions from Lee Valley to make a replacement tote: http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010k.pdf

This is the first tote I have made and I am pretty happy with the results:

Next time I will give it a little more shape and shave a little bit more off. It is a tad porkier than my favorite tote.

The directions and dimensions were about spot on (although I think the height could have been 3/16 or so taller to completely cover the bolt). I am pretty slow and it only took me about 2 hours (most of the time with a rasp and sanding).

I made it out of walnut because I was sure I had an 8/4 piece lying around to make a matching knob. Turns out I don't :(. Oh well, the stuff grows on trees.

Salem

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Salem,

Very nice !

Thanks for the LV PDF

As have attempted to make several handles without instruction, having a plan is great.

I always got burned on the drilling part, as I did my drilling operation after the rough handle was cut.

Impossible (on my drill press?) to drill straight at an angle, without some mishap.

But, it appears the "trick" is in the Orientation of wood to handle as it relates to drilling!:widea:

I figured it out later, but a Diagram sure speeds things up. Shortening the learning curve

Thanks Again, and Great Work

M

eyekode

New User
Salem
Oh my, I wouldn't have a chanec of drilling that hole at an angle. I am not even convinced I could measure that angle accurately enough. However the shaft hole is oversized so maybe it would work out if you drilled the top recess a little large. I ended up having to do that anyway because I don't have a 7/16th brad point.
Salem

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Oh my, I wouldn't have a chanec of drilling that hole at an angle. I am not even convinced I could measure that angle accurately enough. However the shaft hole is oversized so maybe it would work out if you drilled the top recess a little large. I ended up having to do that anyway because I don't have a 7/16th brad point.
Salem

Salem, BINGO

T&E School taught me well

Oversized is mandatory, yes!

And angle measurement, not an issue. I took the through bolt and connected to base without tote. Then took measurement with protractor/bevel.

Learned alot! But a clue now and then...doesn't hurt.

Thanks,
m

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Great job and a very timely post, I am going to need one soon I think and will have to give it a try.

eyekode

New User
Salem
After some more thought I think I will use a 3/8" round over to do most of the work next time. But I would not touch the top of the horn with the router. I think this will save a bunch of rasp work.
Salem

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Excellent photography. DSLR no doubt. The tote is a work of art but since it is a prototype and does not match the knob, I will take it off your hands when you get the new improved tote & knob finished. PM for my shipping address.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS