Lumber rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have finally finished "rearranging" my shop, at least for all that I have planned.

My last thing to do was to move and rebuild my lumber rack. Each assembly is built up out of 3 10 ft 2x4's. The 2 x 6's are about 27" long and angled up at 5 degrees. The 2x4/2x6 assembly is bolted together with 1/2 inch carriage bolts and the entire thing is lag screwed to the top plate and studs in the wall. There are a total of 6 of the assemblies so I can hold 16 ft boards fairly easily.

I had built the little cut off boxes a while back to store shorts in, and am pretty happy with them. I got the entire idea from a FWW issue awhile back. I think it was one of their annual shop issues. I finally have a good place to store my sliding compound miter saw so it is out of the way when not in use.

Strangely enough, my old lumber rack (which had two windows between it) seemed quite full. This one seems quite empty.

Now I have the space to put some walnut someone has been holding for me.

Thanks for looking

lumber_rack_1.JPG

Lumber_rack_2.JPG

T

toolferone

Murphy quote " Man will occupy all unused space" That rack will fill up in no time. Looking good Travis!

dozer

Mike
I might just have to copy I mean borrow your idea. I need to boild a lumber rack myself and have about 13ft tall ceiling in my shop so I believe I can make good use of your idea Travis. Looks like your all set to go shop for some lumber now really nice job.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Go for it. My only suggestion is to not try and nail the 2 by together to hold it for bolting. If you ever decide to readjust, it is a PAIN to get the nails out.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, let's see what we got here...

New shaper, new HOSS bandsaw, new DP? Now, a new lumber rack...:eusa_thin

Life is good, huh? (BTW, nice rack!!). :) :)

Chuck

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Nice rack! Nice high ceiling also!

Once I get the back bench done and get my tools organized and put away (and some other projects done :roll: ) then I got to make one of those! The plan now is to use hardwood verticals drilled at a slight angle for steel pipe that will support the lumber (likely sleeved with pvc to prevent staining). The whole thing will be mounted to the wall 4 1/2' above the floor. Underneath that will be a rolling combination sheet goods rack and cutoff bins.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Nice Rack, I've been keeping mine on a shelf, which comes with it's own issues. I like the design of yours and will be implementing it soon - I should end up with a bunch of ply left over from the shelves,,,

BTW,, like the rolling wood bins too. Nice Idea.

David

J

jeff...

That will work! really nice lumber rack Travis. :icon_thum

I did mine a little different than yours, yours is much better and looks like you figured out how to over come the short coming of the supports leaning forward over time because of weight "angled up at 5 degrees". When I build a new rack - I'm going to use your idea, if you don't mind. Mine is packed plum full from floor to ceiling and has spilled out into the yard into several bunks. I've come to the conclusion a man can never have enough lumber rack space, the trick is to stack lumber out of sight of your wife ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors