Lowes Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
So i called up lowes just now to see if they had my 12" planer. I get this chick who answers the phone "Mam?" , uh "Sir?" i said.

Me: Do you have the delta 12" planer in stock?
Her: Whats a planer look like?
Me: Uh...Its got two black sides with a tray on the bottom and has the three blue delta triangle logo on it.
Her: Do you have an item number?

Not the brightest, they do have it, so ill be on my way, but i thought id share this experience :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's hard to find quality help these days. But I bet she could tell you where the hardware cloth is located :mrgreen:
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sweet Andy, at first I thought you were talking about the lady you spoke to at the Lowe's, I now realize it's your new planer. Let me be the first to give you a complimentry

YOU SUCK!!!!! Does that mean you won't be coming to visit anymore:crybaby2: ?

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Haha naw dave, ill come over anytime, just for the fact that I learn a lot each time.

Im going to wait until about 8pm and then plane my first board, the neighbors are going to LOVE me!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Awww... Andy.... YOU SUCK! Seriously, be sure you put in some ear plugs if you plan to put a bunch of stock through at one go.

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice grab! First thing you do... wax that bed!!! That shiny part that you can see in the picture reflecting the rollers.... raise the cutterhead up and wax that part with Johnson's paste wax.

If you do this now, you will never appreciate why this is needed -- and that's OK. If you don't do this now... well... don't say I never told you so!!! :p

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Yeah I thought my radio was louder than it was after i finished some of my cherry a few minutes ago. Ill put some in next time, i have some extra in my rifle bag.

On another note, im getting what I think dave mentioned before as a Ledge. Running the board through, i get a ledge about 3 inches in, pretty shallow but still the blade is cutting too deep at the first 3 inches of the board. Is this because Im not supporing the back of the board and its pressing up into the blade?

Arcrist

New User
Andy
wont the wax get on my board?

Also check out this grain, will it be like this all over when I finish planing?

www.dreadcraft.com/grain.jpg

edit: can i use turtle wax? or is that too gooey? and nevermind that question about getting on the board, I know how to use wax....really heh.

Monty

New User
Monty
The wax won't hurt your board, but it will make the planer function much more smoothly. I was literally pushing/pulling boards through my delta benchtop planer before I wised up and did this. I have no idea about Turtle wax....

Grain... did you plane that board? It's hard to tell how close you are - is that showing figure or tearout?

Arcrist

New User
Andy
That was planed, i got lots of saw chips left over. It is figured cherry but thats not really figure I dont think.

Right now I dont have to push or pull anything, its nice and smooth, ill try my turtle wax when it starts to give resistance.

Did a little research, this guy found the same thing:

"I've been working with some Cherry plywood, making an entertainment center. One sheet looked bland, so I used it for the back surface of the insides of the cabinets. But as I've sprayed on dye, then a sealer coat of shellac, then lacquer, the most exciting patters have emerged. Ripply and silk-like and deep. My snapshot doesn't do it justice, but I wanted to share it with you. Click on the thumbnail to see it (48k). "
http://home.pacbell.net/weidners/wood_grain_4.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Arcrist said:
On another note, im getting what I think dave mentioned before as a Ledge. Running the board through, i get a ledge about 3 inches in, pretty shallow but still the blade is cutting too deep at the first 3 inches of the board. Is this because Im not supporing the back of the board and its pressing up into the blade?

That's snipe, and not the kind you hunt. Make sure when you start the board that it is at the same plane as the planer's tables. If it starts out higher, the knives will dig in a little until the second roller catches the board and levels it out.
Another note I haven't waxed my tables, I should know better, and you saw how at times we had to pull the wood on through the planer. Get some Minwax Paste Finishing wax at Lowe's, rub a thin layer on and wait for it to haze over then buff it off. That one can will last forever and will have 1,000,001 uses. I'm off to wax my planer :eusa_doh:

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Snipe? Can i get rid of that?

Oh and the rough cherry boards, this is how I cleaned it up:

I used my router as a jointer, made one straight edge, then took the other end off on the table saw, nice straight board. Now im running them through the planer until I get jewlery box thickness 5/16ths or so.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I often run my boards through the planer a little longer than I will need to give me a bit to trim off, if I get some snipe. You might be able to sand the line out, or put it to the inside of the box, or trim it off it you have enough stock.
I am glad to hear that you are making your machines work for you. There are many ways to skin a cat...and the router table is one:lol: :lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Andy!!!

You are graduating really fast! I haven't convinced the LOML yet that I neeeeeed a joiner and thickness planer. I walked her through the BORG today showing her the Rigid joiner and the Dewalt 735 and told her that we could save a lot of money if I bought rough material and finished it myself with these tools. Well. Guess what. She reminded me that I said that I had alll of the major tools as of December/05.:roll: The story of my life.:-( Moral of the story! Buy what you can, when you can! (Otherwise you have to take to stealing from the piggy bank and building your own stash for new tools!:BangHead: )

Oh ya. Great Suck!!!

Have fun with your new toy!

Wayne

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'd stay away from the Turtle wax. Car waxes have additives that can do bad thing at finishing time. Stick with the Minwax.

pete

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Canuk said:
She reminded me that I said that I had alll of the major tools as of December/05.:roll:

Wayne,

You need to get some supplemental training from WoodGuy on how to avoid making statements like this to SWMBO. :lol: :lol: They have long memories......

Come to think of it maybe that's a new class WG could offer. And he wouldn't even need those new workbenches for that one :rolf:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You never have everything you need and you never tell SWMBO that it is sufficient. Whatever you get, this is just to get you started and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS