Looking safe method of cutting 3" thick walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am making a trestle table with walnut and have completed the feet. The slab I am attempting to cut for the trestle top is just under 3" thick and over 8" wide. My final needs to be 5" and my jointer only handles 6" so you see my problem. The tablesaw ripped the legs without a problem because they were about 2 3/4" thick. How can I safely cut this board to 5 plus width? When I tried to cut half way though the board my splitter got in the way and I fear taking him off and making the cut. Is that a safe cut? Lorraine

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
bandsaw? you are welcome to use mine if needed. littleton isnt that far. a ten inch tablesaw should cut about 3 1/8" deep. if you are trying to resaw 5 " deep you will need to remove the splitter or use a bandsaw. or i could give you a hand saw!:rolf:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a bandsaw and I have considered using it. Is it safe to remove the splitter and cut it on the tablesaw. I like my splitter. I threw a piece of plywood at the dog last summer so I don't go without it very often. I guess my question is, can the saw blade throw that piece of wood? Thanks for the offer to use your bandsaw.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lorraine, I'm up your way this weekend. If you think another set of hands will help I would be glad to stop over.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the table saw might not throw that big a piece of wood, but it is certain to stall out when the blade binds...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
is it safe?:) any operation on any tool that does not feel safe to the user is NOT safe! if it dont feel right DONT DO IT!!! i dont have a splitter or guard on my saw and maybe i should but so far i have lived by these rules and have been ok. sometimes it is my belief that making tools too safe brings about complacency. i feel i would rely on the safety devises and get careless. YMMV of coarse.:-D the bandsaw is one of the safest tools in the shop IMHO and i use mine whenever i dont feel comfortable with the TS. let us know what you come up with.:icon_thum

gator

George
Corporate Member
Set your fence at a little over the 5", remove the splitter, and raise your blade to about 1"heavy. Run one pass and flip the board end-for-end and run another pass so the kerf is opposite the first kerf. Then, replace the splitter, run the blade up to full height and rip the rest of the way through.

Setting the fence a little over 5" allows you to joint the edge smooth to 5".

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors