looking for styrofoam in large sheets (4x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It's for my Y Guides raft for the 3rd year race. We are basically making a 16'x4' surf board, foam sandwiched between a couple of layers of OSB. OSB would be a poor choice, except we picked some up dirt cheap and it is only going to be in the water about 5 minutes at a time, one to three times (we are hoping three - that would mean we make the finals :) ). Anyway, I am looking for 4", which I think will best be found as 2" sheets so we can cut one in half like we will the OSB so that the top and bottom layers overlap. My preference is not to pay premium price for new acoustic wall board...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I know nothing about floating, but I have seen large sheets of foam insulation board at the home centers.

Jim

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
second on the foam insualation at the home centers. If you find a few sheets that are damaged but still usable, you can ask for a discount.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Last I priced them at home stores (a couple of years ago) 2" was around $30 and I need 4 of those. I am hoping to spend a little less than that, but that is Plan B.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Andy,

I've picked up 4x8x2 from the local dock builders before. A little thick for what you need, but they may have thinner stock.

We've also laminated 2" stock, but I can't remember where we purchased it. I believe we did get it locally in Charlotte, however. It's used for building facades under spray on "pseudo-stucco".

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Andy, I got 2" x 4'x8' for $5 per sheet to insulate my shop. They had some thicker stuff at the time but not sure the thickness or size on them. If you were making a trip to WV I would be happy to take you over to see what they had. Of course you could always sandwich two sheets together to make 4". If you can not find the sheets would it be possible to frame your OSB and fill with Great Stuff spray foam insulation? Steve

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look up 'Sips Panels' online & see if you can find a local dealer/installer. These are basically 3-1/2" expanded polystyrene (not styrofoam) sheets bonded to 7/16" OSB on both sides. Stock sizes are available from some manufacturers up to 8' x 40'.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Just remembered another possible source. When my brother had his log home built. It came with panels for the roof system that were foam sandwiched between OSB and I think that they were 12" thick. You might want to check with a log home dealer to see if they might have something like that. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS