Looking for large pieces of cedar for mantles

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Moose

New User
D Moose
I am looking for large pieces of cedar that i can make mantles out of say 8ft
long 4-6 in thick and 10-12 in wide if its a little smaller thats fine but not too much smaller, larger is fine any suggestions? Thanks Guys!

Or maybee something else that would make some nice mantles but i definately need some cedar.:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Charles Holland in New Hill (Chatham County) mills a lot of cedar, and keeps a variety of mantle blanks (I'm not sure if he has cedar mantles, but he has black walnut and other varieties).

You can reach him in the evenings at 919-542-4544. Call between 7 and 9 pm.

Scott

J

jeff...

Mr. Moose - I'm writing to tell you, you might just have a little bit of a hard time finding a chunk of ERC that's 6" thick by 12" wide. If I calculated correctly that would take a straight clean round 17" dia ERC log. More like a 20 or 22" ERC log because I have yet to see an ERC that's even close to being round. But even if you do find a tree that big, there is still a little problem, ERC around here starts to get dody about 16" diameter and I can almost be certain such a large chunk of ERC would be contain the pith. I would check further north perhaps northern in Kentucky or central IL, I heard there ERC ain't as dody as ours is around here. But I'm not sure either, cause I ain't cut any from up there and it's just what I was told.

Please see this thread
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8929&highlight=Cedar

Seriously if you find chunk of ERC that big from around here that's not all dody, consider it a rare find. Because it is rare...

Does it have to be Eastern Red Cedar? would some other species work? I could defiantly help you out in another species.

Thanks

D Moose

New User
D Moose
Yeah I definately need some cedar I have someone wanting a large cedar mantle Scott gave me Charles Holands phone # and he has some large pieces
4-6 inches thick and 14-16 inches wide I am going to go over there Thursday or Friday.The only bad thing is that hes 3 hours away thats a 6 hour drive.
But you gotta do what you gotta do. Thank everyone for helping me out !
I really love this site I dont post that often but when I do people always help me out. I mainly just read the posts there is alot of great information in there.
Thank You Every One Darren Moose:icon_thum

J

jeff...

Yeah I definately need some cedar I have someone wanting a large cedar mantle Scott gave me Charles Holands phone # and he has some large pieces
4-6 inches thick and 14-16 inches wide I am going to go over there Thursday or Friday.The only bad thing is that hes 3 hours away thats a 6 hour drive.
But you gotta do what you gotta do. Thank everyone for helping me out !
I really love this site I dont post that often but when I do people always help me out. I mainly just read the posts there is alot of great information in there.
Thank You Every One Darren Moose:icon_thum

In all seriousness if you find ERC that big around here that's not dody, grab it, it's rare. Also you may want to pick your self up some log savers to hammer in the end grain, ERC that thick is prone to splitting.

http://www.woram.ch/WORAM AG-Website/Protection.html

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
Did you find it yet? I have no reason to be sire they have what you want, but Bee Tree in Swananoa might. They have info under the "Where are?" drop down box above and then wood suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS