Looking at Air Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
My craftsman air compressor is 30 yrs old. So I figured I better start looking at them... I just need one I can use with my gun drill when I am boring flutes which doesnt require a whole lot of air..Also I might would do a little spraying lacquer or varnish and maybe use a brad tacker but that would be occasional use only.....I'm looking in the $200 range...I see so many different kinds now ...pancake...twin stage etc...never used anything but a plain old air compressor...Any pros and cons or suggestions for a good deal..???? Im gonna check Lowes here to see what they offer Thanks !!

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
The oil free are noisy and dont last long. you can find the oil free pancake on cl for $100.00 but they are not even worth that in my opinion. Change the oil in the one you have, be sure to use non-detergent or ATF, and keep on using it for another 30 years.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you have either cast iron, or aluminum 2 cylinder oil lubed pump, it will outlast you most likely. Tanks rust out first, but if drained regularly, they last indefinitely.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I recently picked up an 80 gallon Campbell hausfeld DP5810-Q compressor at Lowes. It's normally $800, but was put on clearance. I offered, the tool manager counter offered, and we agreed on $325. For 325, it's unbeatable. It's not a two stage unit, but it has four cylinders, 16 CFM at 90 PSI and 14 CFM at 140, and the tank is ASME certified. The pump is solid cast iron and turns at a very slow ~800-900 RPM, which makes for a very quiet unit.

It even has an elevated tank drain so you don't have to get under the tank to let the water out. It's high enough that a five gallon bucket fits under it.

I have the receipt and can post it if you (or anyone else) like, and any lowes in the region should price match assuming that it is non-stock in the store.

The drawback for some may be that it needs a dedicated 20 amp 220v circuit.

I'd also strongly consider a used unit, but like previously said I would shy away from oil-free pumps. If you get a smaller CFM pump, look in to LVLP spray guns (low volume, low pressure) to get good spraying capability out of a smaller unit.

ehpoole

Ethan
I'm with junquecol on this one, if your existing compressor is still in good condition, has been reasonably well maintained, and still meets your needs then you are probably Ok. If it has lasted 30 years without a rebuild it is most likely an oilled compressor (don't forget to change the oil annually). My only concern would be the 30 year old tank -- it may be time to have it professionally hydrotested unless you know for certain it has been drained at the end of each day for all 30 years. Although most tanks fail with just pinhole leaks (never try to plug such a tank -- they are at end of life!) a small percentage fail catastrophically without warning and are equivalent to setting off a small stick of TNT in your shop -- and the larger and higher pressure the tank, the more spectacular (and occassionally lethal) the results. Hydrotesting is cheap insurance by comparison. The other option, of course, is to simply replace with a new tank and decommission the old (drill one or more large holes through it to discourage others from reusing).

If your compressor is no longer meeting your needs then you are probably looking for something along the lines of 1.5-2HP with a 20-30gal tank. Such a compressor will not be able to fulfill the needs of a typical HVLP gun continuously, but the tank capacity (coupled with pump) should be sufficient for spraying flutes and other small items. Just realize that most of the middle-of-the-road quality and above compressors are going to cost $300-400 new in this size range.

You can buy used -- a good quality cast-iron pump that has been properly maintained has a long service life. However, you must again beware that the previous owner may not have taken good care of their tank so a professional hydrotesting is suggested if the compressor is more than a few years old. Short of getting very lucky as Ben325e did, your price range pretty much limits you to used compressors in this range if you want to go larger than 1.5-2HP, 20-30gal.

The features you most want to look for:

• Cast Iron cylinders (solid cast-iron is better than aluminum with CI-sleave which is better than all aluminum)
  • Cast Iron or Aluminum heads (some will say CI only, but aluminum dissipates heat more effectively)
  • Oil lubricated (either splash lubricated or pressurized -- both are well suited to shop use).
  • Belt driven with intact belt guard
  • ASME certified tank with a functioning pressure relief valve whose pop-off pressure is equal to or less than that of the tank's certified working pressure). Especially check this if buying used.
  • If you want sustained long-duration operation of HVLP and other hungry accessories you will want atleast 10 SCFM @ 90PSI (3-5HP, 220V) and a 30-80gal tank, otherwise look for something in the 4.2-6 SCFM @90PSI with a 20-30gal tank (1.5-2HP, 120V) which will allow for short duration use of hungry accessories.
  • Although 2-stage compressors are nice, single-stage are more than adequate for shop use. However, all things considered, a two-stage unit (with an intercooler) with its maximum pressure dialed down to 135-150PSI will produce cooler air than a comparable single-stage unit.
For Spraying: Use either a coalescing filter coupled with dessicant filter or a long metal air line (min 20ft, more is better) to pre-cool the warm air with a coalescing filter at the end of that line. Elevate the line so that water in the line runs back towards the tank for easy single-point draining and let each location that you tap into the line for air draw off the top of this line with a 180deg loop before the tap's drop -- this keeps most of the liquid water in the main distribution line and out of your coalescing filter. If you've been using your existing compressor for spraying then water contamination is something you have likely already addressed.

If you opt for a large compressor tank, set it up so that you can easily drain it. Most come from the factory with a petcock valve located dead-center of the bottom of the tank for complete draining. Some manufacturers will add an elbow and a ball valve to extend this drain to a more convenient location. If yours does not come equipped as such, add your own elbow and ball valve to make draining easier. For my new compressor, I will be installing a solenoid valve (with 240V coil) so that all I need to do is press a pushbutton to drain my tank since getting down to floor level/bending over is not so easy for me. I may even decide, in the future, to install a programmable timer to do this for me.

I'm sure others can expand upon this even more.

ehpoole

Ethan
Ethan,

have you checked out the pneumatic tank drain kit sold at harbor freight? I've seen mostly good reviews of it, with the weak point being the plastic tubing it comes with, but you can swap that out for copper tubing.

It's ten dollars, and many people have gotten years of service out of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html

Yes, I was aware of it (though congratulations on finding it on their website -- I tried not so long ago and could not find it in any department, nor with keywords like "tank drain", "automatic drain" "drain valve" or even with the terms "drain" or "valve"... not a terribly useful search tool...:rotflm:) But yes, I know of it as the infamous tank drain with the melting unloader tube.

I really did not want something hissing at me every time the compressor started or stopped. My shop is humidity controlled and held at roughly 40% year round so even a relatively heavy day of use for me is typically just a few ounces of water in the tank. As such, all I need to purge my tank is a second or two once at the end of each day's use to keep the tank free of water.

There was also the concern that while lower-pitched sounds like the compressor starting and stopping doesn't startle me, unexpected hissing can be a bit jarring. I guess the unloader doesn't startle me because it's masked somewhat by the sound of the compressor winding down.

Besides, I don't just want something that will give me years of service, I want decades of service. :wink_smil

In the future I may either add a timer to drain it sometime when I'm not in the shop... or I could go fancy and program a microcontroller to monitor runtime and calculate an appropriate drainage schedule based upon use. Maybe even let it signal oil change intervals while it's at it. Heck, I could get real fancy and throw in optical sensors to detect when all the water is purged. I could even add a pressure sensor and eliminate the pressure switch... Monitor amperage draw to provide early fault warnings... Or, I could just go back to a simple off-the-shelf timer and save myself a few hours of design time. Anyone want to take odds that I'll choose the simpler solution?

But I do appreciate your mentioning it. I wanted to do something more substantial and fully under my control, but I'm sure there are others here who will be quite interested in HF's auto-drain. It is considerably less expensive than some of the other alternatives out there.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Do have a picture of your current one? Also who made the compressor?

If its a oil one then try and find a rebuild kit for it and freshen it up.
The tank just take the compressor/motor off and spray the inside out with oil and drain to clean it up. Then re-paint the outside.

I have a 27gallon oilless one and its to weak for large auto tools but to large heavy to use just for tires.
I bought a 60gallon oil compressor for my shop and have a 6gallon pancake compressor for smaller nail guns and checking tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS