Looking at a new purchase and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy1990

New User
Matt
I have noticed online that there is a woodturning chuck that can be used in a drill press. I was thinking of getting one since I want to start making pens. Hopefully, I can get some done for our church for Father's Day. Has anyone ever used one of these or know anything about them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Never heard of it.

So you want to turn some pens on a Drill press? Doesn't sound very easy to me. What would you use for a rest, and will you turn the Drill press on its side wo it's horizontal?

navy1990

New User
Matt
The pictures I have seen from the Penn State Industries website shows that it mounts into the drill press chuck and the woodturning is on the vertical plane. The drill press stays upright. I was just curious if there was anyone with information or opinions on this. I don't have alot of space to do my woodworking so any tool that I can use while conserving space is a plus.

Sully

New User
jay
Without knowing specifics my comment would be that the chuck, quill, and bearings of a drill press are typically not designed for the lateral forces experienced in lathe work. You would probably be happier in the long run with a mini lathe.

J

erasmussen

New User
RAS
is this what your talking about, "Item #: DPLATHE"
dont see why it wouldnt work, might be a bit more difficult though:icon_scra
and I know that I would be looking for something better real soon

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I think now days you will find that all of your med to low end drill press's and lathes use the same 6xxx series bearings.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Take a pen turning class

You will enjoy making pens a whole lot more on a real lathe. I have a mini-lathe and it takes up little room. It is small enough that I sometimes take it outside and set up on a table.

It Looks like the nearest woodworking store near you that offers classes is in Raleigh. Check out website: http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=532

They are offering a pen turning class next weekend on Sunday. Call and sign up soonest. Class starts at noon, so you can still make the early Church session. Next class is in February, again on Sunday.

Here's a Jet mini-lathe in your area, just like I have, along with a Nova midi-chuck and turning tools for a fair to good price of $350. sale-6dur3-1533805021@craigslist.org

And here's another Jet, variable speed with the extension for $300. sale-gcqzz-1530957690@craigslist.org

I suggest taking that class next weekend. You will enjoy it and have a lot of fun. Check on those lathes, those are fairly good deals, if in good shape.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Re: Take a pen turning class

I owned a DP lathe for a while. I have a small low power DP but that wasn't much of a problem since it is pretty much limited to small splindle stuff anyway. There really isn't that much lateral pressure either, as long as you aren't using irregular stock that is way off balance. But (you knew this was coming, right?) the reasons I didn't care for it are more about the literal pain in the neck and the restricted tool angles. The literal pain in the neck is from leaning over sideways to do the work. And you pretty much have to do that, even if you adjust the height. It is very difficult to turn looking down the length of your tool; you really need that "bird's eye view" to get the bevel and tool at the right vertical and horizontal angles. Your tool angles are restricted by the DP table and head. It makes a skew really difficult to use. I used rotary carving tools with mine a lot because that allowed me to look straight at the work down the tool and there were no angles to worry about. Anyway, what I am getting at is that I think it would work, but you would not enjoy it.

Sully

New User
jay
I respectfully disagree about lateral pressure. In any kind of turning work there is lateral pressure applied to the bearings, quill, housing, that you do not find encounter in drilling work in which the pressure is along the axis of rotation. The bearings may be the same, but that is not the issue.

$0.02
J

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Matt,

If you don't have a lathe and need to make a couple of pens PM me before you make that purchase.

I know from experience it is a very slippery slope but I think you would be much happier with a mini lathe than trying to turn using a drill press.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I respectfully disagree about lateral pressure. In any kind of turning work there is lateral pressure applied to the bearings, quill, housing, that you do not find encounter in drilling work in which the pressure is along the axis of rotation. The bearings may be the same, but that is not the issue.

$0.02
J

Maybe I should rephrase that...

In using the item in question, I did not have problems with lateral pressure, but using sanding drums on my DP the bearings do complain, so I assumed that lateral pressure wasn't a problem. I never used any tool larger than 1/2" either, though, so I was not stressing it too much. Also, as I mentioned I used rotary tools a lot which also would have far less lateral pressure (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS