Lingerie Chest is Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
I was wondering if this day would ever arrive, but it did, I spent about 4 hours today putting the finishing touches on the chest. For the benefit of any who have not followed the progress or maybe have forgotten that there was progress actually being made, I started this almost 3 years ago. This is by far the most challenging project I have taken on and thanks to input from members here solutions were found to every situation.

The chest is based on plans from the Feb. 2009 issue of Wood. It is made from cherry,I just love that cherry. I went with poplar for the drawer sides. It is finished with 7 coats of wiping varnish using Waterlox Original mixed with mineral spirits. The great weather we had Thanksgiving weekend allowed me to get 5 coats those 4 days. Gave it some time to cure and put a light waxing with 4000 steel wool today.

First, I attached the top and used a low friction tape for the drawer slides.

Finished_008e.jpg

Attached the knobs and installed the drawers the knobs are also cherry from Rockler. It is hard to see, but I took an idea from Joe Scharle and inset the drawers about 1/8 inch. It did add a nice touch.

Finished_009e.jpg

Side view.

Finished_016e.jpg

You can see the inset a little better in this view.

Finished_024e.jpg

Plans called for a locked rabbit joint for the drawers, but I could not see going that route and went with half blind dovetails. This was a first for me.

Finished_031e.jpg

Finished_042e.jpg

It still needs to get to its final resting place, but the misses sure does love it. :eusa_danc

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Job Well Done, Sir!

You are blessed with talent, perseverance, and most importantly: A very patient wife :gar-Bi.

Go

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a great looking chest!:icon_cheers

You perseverance has definitely payed off. I know that with that cherry, it will look better every day as it darkens.

Wayne

Nelson

New User
Nelson
Nicely done chest Bryan! Great job on the dovetails.:icon_thum
I tell my wife "You just can't rush quality work". But 3 years??? You DO have a very patient wife!!!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
It came out beautiful Bryan. Soon, no one will remember how long it took: only that it is a beautiful piece you can be proud of. :eusa_clap I really like the book matched panel on the side. :icon_thum

Bill

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Great work on the chest - now you can start on the dresser, mirror frame, bed and all the wonderful accessories to go with it........... gotta use the tools and experience before they rust away.
:nah:

Bryan S

Bryan
I do have to add that the misses did ask or comment quite frequently about how much longer it was going to take. :gar-La;

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Awesome talent Bryan....we all would also like to know your technic for having the Mrs wait 3 yrs.....great job:eek:ccasion1

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Bryan - I like it! :cool: :cool:

I've bookmarked this thread in my mind. Next time LOML complains about how long it takes me to finish a project...I'll just show her your finished work as proof that fine furniture is worth waiting for! :gar-Bi

Chuck

T

toolferone

It is a beautiful piece. I hope you signed and dated like a good artist does. That cherry is only going to get more beautiful as time goes by.

bwat

New User
Bill
Nicely done Bryan:icon_thum. I feel your pain about taking a long time and the comments from the family gallery. I have a pair of end tables that was put away awaiting a finish for about a year now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors