Lathe Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks to a fellow NCWood Worker I was able to upgrade my lathe to a variable speed and reversible motor. Also went from 1/3 HP to 1.5 HP. The motor is so strong I can't hold it at the lowest setting.

This is a huge step up for us. And i will feel better about Collin turning bowls with the lower speeds. And I don't have C-clamps holding the motor any more!

IMG_02401.JPG

IMG_02412.JPG

IMG_02421.JPG

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Wow Mike that looks great :icon_thum:icon_thum I need to get my lathe done too soon I hope.:dontknow:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Major upgrade!

Does the motor hang off the pully (its own weight sets the tension) or is it on a fixed platform?

Jim

jhreed

New User
james
900% increase in power and variable speed too. That has got to be inebriating. That lathe looks like a hoss.
Congratulations.
James

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jim,

The platform is adjustable, the knob in front will tighten the belt. But, the motor weighs enough that I let it hang and its weight tightens the belt. If it slips I will install the adjuster.

James,

Is it 450% ? I'm terrible at that kind of math. Anyway it is a much bigger motor. I can't wait to try it out, but there are other priorities in the way.

TedAS

New User
Ted
Reversible? Is that a good thing with a lathe? :icon_scra

If you turn something too small you put it in reverse and put some of the wood back on!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Tom,
Reverse is sometimes helpful when sanding.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Reversible? Is that a good thing with a lathe? :icon_scra

Reversing is highly desirable when you are sanding. :icon_thum All the high end lathes come with a reverse... the really, really good ones come with a six speed and a turbo charger!

Great job Mike! Looks like that'll handle anything you can throw at it!

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Reversing is highly desirable when you are sanding. :icon_thum All the high end lathes come with a reverse... the really, really good ones come with a six speed and a turbo charger!

Great job Mike! Looks like that'll handle anything you can trow at it!

Do the high end models come in both automatic & straight drive? :cool:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice upgrade. I think the VS is a positive upgrade and more HP, can't beat that. I'm looking forward to using VS on my new lathe.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congrats Mike-----------you are gonna like the VS and reverse.

BTW------how much swing do you have on that lathe?

Jerry

TedAS

New User
Ted
Mike

Great upgrade.

I have been researching this upgrade as well, when I bought my new lathe I could not justify spending the $$ on variable speed. The SF lathe I bought plus the added cost of a new 220 3PH motor and VFD will still be well below the cost of a high end lathe . I am curious as to what brand / model VFD you used? And is there a reason you selected that VFD?

Ted

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jerry,

It is 19 inches (9.5 from center to rails) The banjo is almost an inch thick. Everything is solid steel except the bed which is cast iron.

It will hold almost 7 feet in length. If the tailstock wasn't 18 inches i could almost get 8 feet on it.

Ted,

I bought a package deal from another wood worker. I don't have a clue what brand it is.

I think he gave me a big discount because (1) we're friends (2) he got a great deal on a better package (3) I've been whining about my lathe for over a year and he got tired of hearing about it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a nice upgrade Mike. My variable speed is supposed to have 6 speeds, but only 3 of them work and the slowest isn't that slow. A reversable motor would ROCK! Congrats! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
If you turn something too small you put it in reverse and put some of the wood back on!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Tom,

Put the wood back on,gotta try that :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

OH YEA great job there :icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Tom,

Does that work the same way if you put your bandsaw blade on backwards? I need to try that. :swoon:

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Tom,

That quote is sig line just waiting to happen. :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Glad I wasn't sipping a drink, I'd have sprayed the screen.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS