Lathe Tools and Chucks??? What to buy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mike, that looks like a pretty good set, and reasonably priced. I got a similar set from Harbor Freight for about half that price and they've held up pretty well. If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll need a good bowl gouge. I think mine is 1/2". If you don't have a bench grinder/sharpening system, you'll need one of those too as turning tools need constant sharpening. Basically, when it comes to turning, the more you can afford/spend, the better off you'll be. If there are two words that don't belong in the same sentence, they are: "turning" and "cheap". :BangHead:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mike this is over at Amazon - Free shipping - Sawduster got this one I believe - talk to him and see how he likes it - Others have it as well - TracyP and SccottM to mention a few

PSI Woodworking CSC3000C Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System by PSI Woodworking
Buy new: $179.95 $168.24

Get it by Monday, Nov 9 if you order in the next 19 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

As far as the tools - like Trent has said the more you can afford the better you will be in the long run

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I always tell folks to look at each tool an try an decide if you need them all.I must have a half doz layin around that I got with sets that I never use.So now I buy my tools one at a time as I need them.AND YES I NEED THEM ALL :tongue2: But if you want some just to practice with,I would get the HF set for about half the price.They will work as good.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
depends on what you are doing

I started off with an inherited Harbor Freight set and was a little frustrated with it. When I got a nice HSS pen set of three (skew, gouge, and parting) tools, that came sharpened, I was immediately happier. Then I learned how to sharpen them.

I agree with Boxxmaker as to buying the individual tools I need. I find myself grabbing for the pen set most of the time. They do everything I want and keep sharpening simple. When I do bowl turning, I find myself reaching for the same larger versions of the same tools and not the others.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
PSI Woodworking CSC3000C Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System by PSI Woodworking
Buy new: $179.95 $168.24

As far as the tools - like Trent has said the more you can afford the better you will be in the long run

Mike
This chuck is your bet bet. I have 2now and love them. The tool set you posted is what I started with and still use some of the tools today. As you progress you will see the need to add tools but do it as 1 offs as needed. You are welcome to come byand try out ome of the new tools I added to my collection.:eusa_danc

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Here are my personsal reccommendations.

http://grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Wood-Chuck-1-x-8-TPI/H6265

It is my understanding that this is a copy of a Vicmarc chuck and all the Vic jaws fit it.

To get started turning bowls you will need a parting tool and 1 that is right just 1 bowl gouge. For which I would get one of these.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tool.asp?ID=4628

1/2" will do pretty much everything you need. You will need to make or buy a handle for it, but that is pretty simple.

http://www.coeur-de-larbre.com/20424.html

See the article on making a hollowing tool.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Mike, that looks like a pretty good set, and reasonably priced. I got a similar set from Harbor Freight for about half that price and they've held up pretty well. If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll need a good bowl gouge. I think mine is 1/2". If you don't have a bench grinder/sharpening system, you'll need one of those too as turning tools need constant sharpening. Basically, when it comes to turning, the more you can afford/spend, the better off you'll be. If there are two words that don't belong in the same sentence, they are: "turning" and "cheap". :BangHead:

First of all I would have to agree with getting a good chuck. The PSI has alot of accessories and that is good. The accessories can add up. So the amazon deal is a good one.

Now what Trent said " The more you can aford/spend, the beeter off you'll be".

Naa now I don't agree with that. I mean besides Flyrod turning some of the most bowls and being a teacher. Earl (Erasmussen) has turned many many bowls and all he uses is the tools he makes. You pay $3.95 for a pack of six bits a HF and scrap wood for the handles $15 for a 4 foot rod of cold rolled steel and you get 4 tools at 12" each. And you can put whatever profile you want on them in seconds and if you want something else, no proeblem, grind it down it to what you need. The bits are cheap. Of course keep them sharp. Get a grinder from tractor supply for $39. and make the wheels spin backwards, much easier to grind free hand. Make one wheel MDF and get some buffing compound at sears for $3 and waa laa you have sharp tools in seconds.

Now if you don't believe me that cheap homemade tools can produce beautiful work well here is some of Earl's Work Segmented of course and here is some of mine Green wood. Now I was taught by Earl and do have Oland tools as well so you can get the full prosepctive of Segmented and Green wood from an Oland tool.

Earl's,

Earl's, Notice this one has his homemade chuck being used. a 1x8" nut with 1" washer welded together and sandwhiched inbetween two pieces of wood with a scrap piece for the faceplate.

Earl's

Earl's

Now Mine MrAudio815

Oland tool handle's

Oland Tools, the first three I made, and this is what Earl uses too.

Matthew's

Mine Bangle

Mine, Pecan Bowl that warped, I like it.

All that with Oland Cheap-o tools :gar-Bi :icon_cheers :banana:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:swoon: Matthew I need to get up with you so that I can learn how to make those tools

Phillip/Mike
You do not need to go to far, I have 3 Oland tools that I made and you are welcome to give them a try. I also have extra round shaft stock you can have to mke your own if you like them you then just need to pick up the cutters:eusa_danc

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
:swoon: Matthew I need to get up with you so that I can learn how to make those tools

Sounds good to me, I live in Goldsboro, Saulston area and Earl lives in Pikeville.

There's a great link here: http://www.aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml

Shows you step by step. And He is using a Nail for his scraper. :swoon: Cool stuff. You can make the bar that holds the bit as long or short as you want. You can use the thick 3/4 cold rolled steel or with a smaller bit the thinner 1/2" stuff. I only use or mostly only use the tool on the left.
Now Earl had the great idea of making three of the bigger bit by making one profile like that and one with a curve to the left for inside bowl work and one with a curve to the right for outside towards the chuck work.

Come by And will have a hay day.

And don't be SCARED of the unknown Oland tool making. Once you have made one, you'll say to yourself "THAT'S IT :elvis: NO WAY, That was easy!" :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana:

And you'll be saving a butt load of money for other more important things in life.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Matthew has a great point there. I haven't tried to make my own tools yet but certainly look forward to doing so. I completely forgot about that option. :slap: If you're getting into turning, definitely pay close attention to all posts by Earl. He truly is a master. :icon_thum

Now, about these Oland tools... where do I find these... :eusa_thin

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip/Mike
You do not need to go to far, I have 3 Oland tools that I made and you are welcome to give them a try. I also have extra round shaft stock you can have to mke your own if you like them you then just need to pick up the cutters:eusa_danc

Sounds good to me, I live in Goldsboro, Saulston area and Earl lives in Pikeville.

There's a great link here: http://www.aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml

Shows you step by step. And He is using a Nail for his scraper. :swoon: Cool stuff. You can make the bar that holds the bit as long or short as you want. You can use the thick 3/4 cold rolled steel or with a smaller bit the thinner 1/2" stuff. I only use or mostly only use the tool on the left.
Now Earl had the great idea of making three of the bigger bit by making one profile like that and one with a curve to the left for inside bowl work and one with a curve to the right for outside towards the chuck work.

Come by And will have a hay day.

And don't be SCARED of the unknown Oland tool making. Once you have made one, you'll say to yourself "THAT'S IT :elvis: NO WAY, That was easy!" :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana:

And you'll be saving a butt load of money for other more important things in life.

Thanks guys - maybe a bunch of us need to get together one Saturday and have an Oland tool making day

mbeach

New User
Mike
Phillip/Mike

Nick,

I dont know if you remember or not, but you gave me one of your oland tools last time i was there. I cannot tell you how much I have used it.... well... wait... that and the bowl gouge you let me borrow are the only 2 that i use. the 12.00 set of 8 tools from ebay... really dont work :)

Thanks

Mike

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nick,

I dont know if you remember or not, but you gave me one of your oland tools last time i was there. I cannot tell you how much I have used it.... well... wait... that and the bowl gouge you let me borrow are the only 2 that i use. the 12.00 set of 8 tools from ebay... really dont work :)

Thanks

Mike

Mike
I do remember you coming over to the shop:icon_thum the bowl gouge is from the PS set you are looking at.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Make one wheel MDF and get some buffing compound at sears for $3 and waa laa you have sharp tools in seconds.

What do you mean by MDF? Do you mean the wood MDF? If so, please explain.... Thanks!

Mike

MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard, Much better than particle board. Basically it's Sawdust with lots of glue, very hard, very durable. Will hold up to water better than particle board, but will eventually fall apart if soaked for a while. I have plenty of scrap for a 6" to 10" disc you can turn on the lathe with the correct hole size in the middle and fit it to your grinder for a buffing wheel.

Hope that helps.

Matthew

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You can pretty much use inches to HP to figure the largest bowl gouge you should use, so a 1/2" gouge for a 1/2 HP motor. Not an absolute. You don't need the biggest either. I have a 3/8" and I doubt I will get a larger one unless I get a bigger lathe.
(I have a 1/2 HP VS 10" swing).
IMO, convenience is the only thing that makes people choose chucks over faceplates. I am not saying don't get a chuck; the convenince can be a big deal. But you can certainly turn pretty much anything without one.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
another note...

You definitely want HSS tools as primaries, but if you need a tool to cut a specific profile and won't use it often, it is much cheaper and easier to make it out of a cheap carbon chisel. Just don't over heat while grinding or while using it. The advantage of HSS is durability at higher temps. As long as you don't overheat regular carbon steel, it cuts just as well. But normal use on a powered lathe will overheat it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Phillip/Mike

as far as cutters go I have found that old drill bits broken to length and sharpened work as well as anything does. lock em in the oland tool, grind a flat on top and grind a profile like a round scraper on the end. we all have old drill bits laying around dont we?:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors