Lathe height

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Hi all,

I am looking to set up my new lathe today but I'm not sure of the correct height it should be at. I'm looking to modify an existing table (I understand it should have some heft to it) in the shop to be my lathe stand. I browsed the internet for the answer and got 32"-38" from different stands out there. I found one article that said the tool rest should be elbow high.

I have browsed through the 9 pages of the woodturning forum and didn't see the height of the tool addressed anywhere. I was hoping someone could steer me into the right direction.

Thanks,

Paul

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
elbow height sounds a heck of a lot better than where mine is, as it sits on the origional stand. mine is way to low. you also want to make it as heavey as posible or be able to bolt it down to the floor.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I agree with Mark, my old Rockwell is on its origional stand that is way too low. When I first bought it (100 years ago) it didn't bother my back as much as now. I raised it to elbow height and it has made a world of difference. I don't know why I didn' do it sooner.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Thanks for the input. Elbow height it is. Now I have to ponder on the new arrangement of the shop. :) My goal is to get everything set up and arranged by the end of the day. Guess I better get to work.

Paul

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I found one article that said the tool rest should be elbow high.

Paul-I agree with the elbow height, works great for me.:)

Jerry

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Elbow height does seem to be about right. My 10 yr old boy was giggling like a school girl after he came out of hiding from my 1st spindle blowing apart from the lathe last night. :lol: My other boy took a piece of the blown out spindle and made a candle stick holder from it today. Tonight I took another shot at turning and made my wife a crochet hook.

I think I'm going to enjoy using the lathe.

Paul

Attachments

• Crochet Hook.JPG
    Crochet Hook.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 173

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Slip, slide, zoom...better mortgage the house now, you've stepped on the slope and are sliding :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turning is so fun, I'm glad to see you and your kids enjoying it :icon_thum

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Slip, slide, zoom...better mortgage the house now, you've stepped on the slope and are sliding :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

I hear the cash register ringing up some new tools, chucks, wood and other thing for turning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice work Paul you will enjoy making lots of things on the lathe it is a slippery slope :eusa_danc

dozer

Mike
And so it begins. Yet another that will soon fall victim to WGD (Woodguy's Disease) and on a lathe that can become very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS