Large sander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Anyone know of a cabinet shop with an industrial sized planer and sander available for hire? I need to shave a few more pounds off my workbench top. It bowed on me because I clamped it up wrong...DUH! :BangHead: :BangHead:

Anna-Catherine

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
call Diversified & asked who they've sold one too. Or call J & G down in Sanford and ask the same question. BTW don't say I told you to call.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
if you can make it down to Fayetteville area you can use Mine and Pete's 38in Wood master drum sander. Let us know if we can help.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
How much do you need to take off the bench top?

I am in Salisbury Anna-Catherine, much closer than Fayetville area. I have a 38" wide Woodmaster drum sander also.

Pending how much you need to take off------you may need a wide planer first. The sander works in thousandths--the planer works in 16ths or more.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
We have a 20in planer, too, all told, about 25 combined horses :eusa_danc of stock removal machinery... too bad nothing to put it back with when we screw up!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Give Toolferone a buzz. His store (Woodcraft) did a couple of workshops on building work benches. He will know who/how to get it done.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Guys, I will let you all know what I decide to do. I am too chicken to try the router...although I DID try it on another piece just to see how badly I could screw it up! LOL. I screwed it up.

Thanks Dave for moving the post. I forgot where I was again! LOL.

For this benchtop, I don't think anywhere is too far. LOL. Thhis is my first time making one so I want to fix it correctly. Again, I will let you all know what I want to do. Thanks so much for all your offers of help.

Anna-Catherine :-D

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
How much do you need to take off the bench top?

I am in Salisbury Anna-Catherine, much closer than Fayetville area. I have a 38" wide Woodmaster drum sander also.

Pending how much you need to take off------you may need a wide planer first. The sander works in thousandths--the planer works in 16ths or more.

You're right, I was looking at the benchtop this evening and realized it does need to be planed first. It's got some really rough spots and I need about a 1/4 in removed, I think.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I have a 20" planer and 38" sander in Hickory, but won't be back in the country until the end of March. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Anna,
I have a #8 Stanley jointer plane you are welcome to use (I can supervise:lol: ). It would be a lot of work to take it down 1/4" but you get a workout for free and "Popeye" arms to boot. If you don't have a bunch of wild grain have the grain oriented in the same direction on your top it should take care of it with out a lot of problems.

If you really need to remove 1/4" probably need a wide planer or rip it into pieces which will fit into your planer and reattach after you have it where you want it.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Anna,
From curiosity, what happened when you tried the router technique? Did your platform wobble or flex too much?
Thanks,
Todd

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 180

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Not going to try out the router technique?
Todd

Okay, so I tried the router technique...AGAIN! This time it seemed to be working, I wasn't going too fast or even too slow, but the router bit into SOMETHING and THIS happened!

Attachments

• Routers bite.jpg
    Routers bite.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 130
  • A Long Way To Go.jpg
    A Long Way To Go.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 145

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Anna-Catherine, what kind of router are you using? The reason that I ask is that it would appear to me that the bit came loose and/or slid downward in the collet as you were routing. (This is a chronic issue with craftsman routers.) I don't see any other way that the bit could have done that :dontknow:
I'm sorry that it didn't work! :-( I can only imagine how disappointed you are!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Another follow-up question if I may...
Did you have a sled that you made for the router to sit on that slid across your side rails or was it just gliding between the two perpendicular pieces?
Final setup should look something like this:
routersled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS