Lapping Metal Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have been reading about tuning hand planes as well as sharpening the irons. In the articles that I have read as well as some posts on this forum, Tormek paste has been cited as a final lapping compound on MDF for the plane irons and iron oxide powder for lapping compound for the final lapping of the plane frogs.

My questions: Will the valve grinding compounds found at the auto stores suffice for these lapping applications or are they too coarse/too fine?

Thanks for any input. I don't have easy access to Tormek paste and the valve grinding compound seems like it would work for either application.

MikeH

New User
Mike
It will work, I don't know off hand what the comparison of grit sizes would be. You could even go to the final lap with toothpaste or through stages of finer and finer diamond dust. Whatever works.

I get really irritated at folks that say there is only one way or one product that works. For almost anything you can find a substitute, sometimes it will even work better.

I agree Mike. There is never one way that is THE way. Do what works best for you or experiment. You may discover an alternative way that is superior to the way others are doing it.

DavidF

New User
David
I agree Mike. There is never one way that is THE way. Do what works best for you or experiment. You may discover an alternative way that is superior to the way others are doing it.

I'm not actually convinced that going to those lengths is really necessary for practical purposes. I find that the problem is wanting to get on with the job and keep going with a tool that really needs a quick once over on a fine stone.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I agree with David. Lapping beyond fine stones or sand paper might be over kill. I use hand planes a lot and the only other step I use is to keep a small block of paraffin on hand and smear a little on every few minutes.

DavidF

New User
David
I agree with David. Lapping beyond fine stones or sand paper might be over kill. I use hand planes a lot and the only other step I use is to keep a small block of paraffin on hand and smear a little on every few minutes.

I use an old candle and it's like sharpening the plane! it feels and rides so much nicer with more control.

DavidF

New User
David
Best to find a balance where the tool will cut well and keep cutting a reasonable amount before a touchup is needed.

My point exactly. Rather than taking as gospel what others might say, especially on the web; and struggling to carry out those instructions (finding alternative products) then a pointer that maybe they needn't worry is always a good thing.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Final lapping stage is a Holy Grail I'm not sure I'll reach :roll:
:eusa_thin Well, maybe on the plane iron. I'm still lapping away at 100 grit wet/dry on a No. 7 sole . . . whew! And wouldn't a fine file flatten a frog to acceptable tolerances???

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
:eusa_thin Well, maybe on the plane iron. I'm still lapping away at 100 grit wet/dry on a No. 7 sole . . . whew! And wouldn't a fine file flatten a frog to acceptable tolerances???

Roger

As long as the frog sits flat and square it should be fine. It's not like you have to slide it all the time.

DavidF

New User
David

Roger

Roger, I've got a black DMT diamond bench stone (coarse) if you want to borrow it. That's waht I have used in the passed. Good for flattening water stones too.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
The soles only need to be flat across three places. The leading edge of the plane, the leading edge of the throat and the trailing edge of the plane. From what I read, Japanese planes are made this way intentionaly.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks Larry, that's interesting info. Posts like that are what make this site great :icon_thum

BTW David, I'd be honored to borrow your diamond stone . . . sounds like a great way to take a few strokes off my game :lol:

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks Larry, that's interesting info. Posts like that are what make this site great :icon_thum

BTW David, I'd be honored to borrow your diamond stone . . . sounds like a great way to take a few strokes off my game :lol:

Roger

Is the picnic soon enough? or must we have lunch.....:)

DavidF

New User
David
I am going down to Savannah, GA Thursday, returning Tuesday; a short vacation with Carol, but we could get together tomorrow if you want.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Charleston: We like the Mustard Seed in Mt. Pleasant, SC and a new location west of the Ashley. The Boathouse on Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island is another good one. Used to go to Bowen's Island for oysters but it burned down recently.
Savannah: Six Pence Pub on Bull St. for hand pumped cask ales and Pohm grub. Desposito's for seafood. Be sure to go by and check the line at Paula Dean's Lady and Sons for home cooking. If the wait is < 30mins get in line. YUM, YUM, EATEM UP!

DavidF

New User
David
Charleston: We like the Mustard Seed in Mt. Pleasant, SC and a new location west of the Ashley. The Boathouse on Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island is another good one. Used to go to Bowen's Island for oysters but it burned down recently.
Savannah: Six Pence Pub on Bull St. for hand pumped cask ales and Pohm grub. Desposito's for seafood. Be sure to go by and check the line at Paula Dean's Lady and Sons for home cooking. If the wait is < 30mins get in line. YUM, YUM, EATEM UP!

Thanks for the tips Mark. We looked at going to Paula Deans, but the waits seemed crazy; she surely can't be that much better than all the others down there??

We have a theme to the trip based on the book/film "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS