Kyle - Box Elder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Kyle,
I'm addressing this question to you since your just down the road from me and a sawyer. But please anyone else that wants to jump in please do!

:oops: Is box elder common in this area (Iredell Co.) and since its supposed to me a type of maple what do I look for to ID? Also, if we do have in this area, is this the same as the Box Elder that has the red vien's and great looking burls?

Would love to find some for turning/pen blanks.:-D

James

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike's link is great information. Box Elder is practically a weed around these parts. Unfortunately finding ones with the "flaming" fungal stains or burl is about as rare as finding it in any other tree. Box Elder is the bastard son of Maple trees. It has a leaf structure very un-like most Maples, and is often mistaken for Poison Ivy when it is in the seedling stage.
If you run across some good flaming BE or BEB, I would love to share in the turning with you:-D.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Good points there Dave.

BTW if you do find a flaming box elder that's big enough to get some lumber out of, it's one of the tree on my sawing hit list along with Osage Orange. I would be more than happy to saw it for you :-D. Who knows you might get lucky and find a big flaming box elder 8-O.

Dave when you gonna start on that book and don't give me any excuses :slap:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Don't know much about boxelder.But I'm sure glad to see the link. I can really use that with my stick hunting.And I'll keep my eyes open for the Boxelder.Seems that I'm right on the edge myself.:icon_thum

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
box elder is like poison ivy to this area if you know where to look.. creek banks and streams and marshy areas best place to look

i cut a 24" diameter box elder burl a few years back for my cousin.. beautiful stuff

BTW.. when you saw the stuff that has the red marbling it attracts FLIES.. It smells like cow manure. It was hoot to saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors