KD lumber run #2 - 4/4 QSWO & 8/4 Soft Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Working on the next Kiln Dry Raleigh Lumber run.

As the lumber starts rolling off the mill I'll update this post with pics.
What you can expect is to receive is fresh rough cut, kiln dried and stabilized lumber to a target moisture content of 6 ~8%, that'll be ready to work as soon as you get it back to your shop.

Here's whats available for this run.

Upto 480 BF of KD 4/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak for $3.30 a BF
[strike]Upto 125 BF of KD 4/4 Quarter Sawn Black Locust for $3.40 a BF [/strike]
Upto 550 BF of KD 8/4 Flat Sawn soft maple for $3.50 a BF

I'll arrange a pickup somewhere in Raleigh after the lumber is kiln dried.

If your interested in purchasing either the QSWO or FS Soft Maple, please reply to this post specify species and BF desired.

* twodognc - 100BF 4/4 QSWO
* tuchwud - 150BF 8/4 soft maple
* bman - 30BF 8/4 soft maple
* snowshoehare - 30BF 8/4 soft maple
* WoodArtZ - 15 ~ 20BF 8/4 soft maple
* Sediener - 60BF 8/4 soft maple

Totals:
4/4 QSWO - 100 BF sold (380 BF left)
8/4 Soft Maple - 290 BF sold (260 BF left)

Thanks

bman

New User
barry
Re: KD lumber run #2 - QSBL / QSWO / Soft Maple

jeff
:eusa_thin would be wanting some soft maple if you get it 4/4 6-8'' wide 50-75 bf depending on price

J

jeff...

jeff
:eusa_thin would be wanting some soft maple if you get it 4/4 6-8'' wide 50-75 bf depending on price

Barry, I'm waiting on a response from Scott about 8/4 soft maple, I've got a few logs that are big enough to make some wide 8/4 soft maple. So I hope we can mix it in with the QSBL and QSWO. Scott what's the verdict can we do 8/4 soft maple, 4/4 soft maple, 4/4 QSWO and 4/4 QSBL in the same load. I like to keep Scott on his toes :slap:

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Jeff, we should be able to mix 8/4 soft maple with 4/4 oak and 8/4 BW without any problems.

bman

New User
barry

so what i gather is the maple must be 8/4 to get it in this load :icon_thum do you know what the going rate will be for the soft maple

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

You are correct.

Each species of wood has a maximum safe drying rate. In a dehumidification kiln, we measure this as the maximum percent of moisture content reduction per day that the wood will safely tolerate.

Most species can be dried more aggressively than the max daily recommendation; however I prefer to be conservative when it comes to customers lumber, and thus I try not to exceed the targeted percentage.

Scott

J

jeff...

Jeff, we should be able to mix 8/4 soft maple with 4/4 oak and 8/4 BW without any problems.

Scott I'm tryingto figure out what I can offer in the next load. I would like to be able to do:

4/4 quarter sawn Black Locust
4/4 quarter sawn White Oak
4/4 flat sawn soft maple
8/4 flat sawn soft maple

If I run accross a nice black walnut that's big enough for some wide 8/4 boards I'll toss that in also, but don't have one at the moment.

Is this do-able in one load?

Thanks Man

J

jeff...

so what i gather is the maple must be 8/4 to get it in this load :icon_thum do you know what the going rate will be for the soft maple

I havn't figured that out yet. But will post it when I do.

Thanks

J

jeff...

here's some pics of one of the quarters of black locust. The color is very accurate in these pictures.

P10100019.JPG

P101000210.JPG

[/img]
P10100038.JPG

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Jeff, it's probably not a good idea to mix in green 4/4 maple. The relatively slow drying rate could result in mold or other degrade.

If you have some extra and it doesn't matter if it get's ruined, we can include it in the load just to see.

Scott

Touchwood

New User
Don

Jeff,

I would like 100 BF of the soft maple if it's rich in ambrosia as you say.

Just got blades sharpened so think I'll pass on the black locust.

Take care,

Don

bman

New User
barry

put me in for 30bf 8/4 soft maple were thinking some time mid sept for pickup right :BangHead: i wish i could get more

thanks
barry

J

jeff...

Thanks Guys - I can't promise ambrosia maple but I did see a log out in the yard that appears to be a good like it should yield some, I won't know for sure till I rip it open.

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Jeff, all should be doable except for the 4/4 maple. Our targeted daily MC% reduction will be 3% (rate for the white oak), and 4/4 maple should really be dried at 7 - 8% per day.

We can try mixing it in, but the degradation risks are discoloration in the sapwood, or potential ring failure or honeycomb in the heartwood due to slow drying.

If you need to end up with some 4/4 maple out of this load, one option may be to mill and dry some additional 8/4 maple, and then resaw it after drying.

Scott

J

jeff...

I've been reading up on Black Locust and they say it's the second hardest native wood in the united states behind Osage Orange. It's also expected to last 70 ~ 80 years with ground contact. No wonder I had to sharpen my band after about every 50 BF and folks were telling me it makes great fence posts. I'm going to hang on to it and take it off the first post in this thread. I think it may become my desk but I haven't decided yet.

Thanks

J

jeff...

One of the White oak logs is 10' instead of 8' hope that's ok?

Thanks

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeff,

The QSWO in 10 ft. lengths is just fine with me. I store them upright and anything under 12 ft. is good for me.

Jimmy

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Jeff,

I had originally planned to make a kitchen island top with hard maple. I haven't worked with soft maple and am curious about the color differences. Is the soft maple still light in color like hard maple? Also, is the grain closed like hard maple? Thanks

tv

J

jeff...

I should start on the soft maple in the next few days, when the boards start falling off the mill I'll snap some picks. To try and answer your questions:

Soft maple is light creamy in color and closed grain.
Hard Maple' color is pale brown to pink and also closed grain.

I've seen a lot of people get the two confused. Based on my understanding of maple lumber. Hard maple is the heart wood of a sugar maple tree, the sap wood of sugar maple is considered soft maple. It takes one huge sugar maple to get wide board hard maple because only the heart wood is considered hard maple. While soft maple includes the heart and sap of several different kinds of maple like red, silver, black maples or just the sap wood of sugar maple. This is the reason you mainly see hard maple in short narrow strips like on a bowling ally floor or laminated tops. While maple furniture tends to be soft maple because wider clearer boards are easier to come by. There are so many different kinds of maple trees out there it's real hard to determine what's what. Unless you got DaveO with you to identify them for you :-D

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors