Just a random update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I haven't fallen off the earth, just to let you know:slap::rolf:. I've been working in excess of 70hrs a week so I've had little in the way of woodworking to speak of. I have, however, came across about 40 bf of walnut and 40 of cherry and brought it to FL with me. I came to GA to do some schools and been going down to see the better half and kid. I'll be off about a week down there and will attempt to make a blanket chest/seat. I'm debating on what wood to use. I'm leaning toward just walnut, but have been thinking about combining QSWO with the Walnut. Maybe even resawing some of the pieces I have with Sapwood in it to add to the character of the chest. What do you think? I'll take some pics as I go along when I start it in about a week.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hey Zach, good to hear from you. Didn't think you had fallen off the face of the earth: more like sunk beneath the seas. :rotflm: Let us know if you're going to be in the W-S area anytime and we'll try to get a group together for lunch.

Bill

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great to hear from ya!

I'm a big fan of sapwood in walnut. One tip, if edge gluing two boards with sapwood (for show). Put the edges with the sap wood together. It makes for a nice contrast.

Looking forward to updates on your project!

Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
When I was making the chest I just finished, I finished the panels before installing so there would be no edge problems later on as the panels moved. Both LOML and I really liked the look of the darker panels with a lighter frame, even tho most I have seen have been the opposite. (i.e walnut frame and maple panels, etc). IMHO, I liked the look of it better before I completed the coatings, but as it was all white oak, I could not bring out the frame as a contrast during the final finishing.

I think you have a great idea, and look forward to seeing it.

Welcome back, and try not to work so hard (as if you had a choice!!)

Go

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Howdy partner! :eek:ccasion1 I think you and I are in the same "boat" :rotflm: right now. I've been traveling a lot too for work and normally have 40 hours by Wednesday night. :swoon: Gonna try and get down to the shop and turn some pens this weekend though. :eusa_pray Glad to hear from you!

QSWO and walnut look great together in my opinion. So does Cherry and Walnut. So does Walnut and Walnut. Looks like you have some great options. :gar-La; Can't wait to see some WIP pics. :icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
Good to hear from you Zach, I was thinking about you the other day and figured you were on an extended submerged journey.:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS