Junk Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Every once in a while, something you didn't throw away becomes very useful. A case in point.

I took a class at the community college on using a vertical mill (Metal Machining) and one of the first projects was to make a really accurate block of steel. It is about the size of a deck of playing cards with six FLAT and PARALLEL sides.

This thing is great for checking square, like on table and miter saw blades. It is so heavy, it just sits there on any side, always perpendicular and square.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a great thing to have for any machine setup. When I took a course we had to make two matching blocks 1 x 2 x 3 inches and hand lap all six sides to a mirror surface.

A friend of mine went to school and needed tools so I gave him my full tool box with those in it. Sometimes wish I had kept some of those things I made.

TN Woodie

New User
John
It has been a few years, but if I remember correctly, we put it in something like an overhead projector/microscope and checked to see if the edges aligned with markings in the machine. If it wasn't good enough, start over. I made an A on all my projects.:eusa_danc

sapwood

New User
Roger
John, you are bright and square :mrgreen:
I use machinist square for tool setup and find it more accurate than try squares . . . of course, I can't afford Starettt stuff :nah:

Definitely a great tool to have :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS