jointer woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Caveat emptor. I guess I should have studied my latin

I bought this jointer a couple weeks ago off of craigslist because it was reasonably priced

Jointer pic

Well, I have been having a heck of a time getting it to work properly. I found the manual online, and did my best adjusting the infeed bed parallel and coplanar to the outfeed side. I got it adjusted fairly well where it was cutting ok, but not perfect, and now it seems to be out of alignment again.

Also, I need to either sharpen or replace the blades. Which is the better way to go? What is the best way to sharpen the blades? One of the blades has a nick in it, so I don't know if it's a good idea to try to grind that out or just replace the knife altogether.

Maybe I should just sell it and try to find one that's a little less problematic??

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally, I would buy a set of blades to have a spare and then if it works out get the old set sharpened. I doubt you will ever get it quite right with dull and nicked blades.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Well, I have been having a heck of a time getting it to work properly. I found the manual online, and did my best adjusting the infeed bed parallel and coplanar to the outfeed side. I got it adjusted fairly well where it was cutting ok, but not perfect, and now it seems to be out of alignment again.

I had a jointer like that for years-------and never could get anything over 18" long jointed straight. The bed is just too short to get a good straight edge on a long board. Solution: get a jointer 8" wide with a 6' bed.:icon_thum

Jerry

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Having bought for price, the product turns out less than first class. If you don't want to spend any more money on the beast, lets see if we can get it to do some work for you. First look at a couple of things: is the fence square and holding well? A square cut is what it's designed to do. knives are dull--do you have a way to grind them square(not wavy) and hone them? If so, what do you have to loose, just time, give it a shot. You then get to set the knives in the machine-a good thing to know. If you screw it up, buy some new blades, the practice set up time will help on the new ones.

The short length may limit you some but all you need is 3/4" wide space on the 6" to square an edge on a board---keep working.

Get a good nights sleep and tackle it when your fresh, it always helps me.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I'm beginning to think that woodguy disease isn't a disease at all. It's more like vampires, One tool addict biting someone and then they start to develop a desire to have bigger and better tools... :rolf:

As for the 8" long bed jointer, how I would love to have one of those! It might be tough to fit it in my shop though, considering it's only 8' by 10' :crybaby2:

I do intend on having more shop space in the not too distant future, but this jointer really needs to last me until then. I guess I will go the route of buying a new set and then giving the sharpening a shot. Sure would be nice if I had a tormek!

M

McRabbet

Marco -- you just need a bigger shop! I was just complaining to my wife tonight that I was having challenges cutting some white oak stock today -- my main sawing area is in the center of a 15' x 25' room in my shop that only gives me 12-1/2' of infeed or outfeed when I am ripping 12' long stock! And because my 10" cabinet saw is not exactly in the middle, I usually rip about 18" on the infeed side, rotate and flip the board end-for-end (a real trick in itself!) and rip from the other end to finish the cut. Told her I need a 30' x 60' building and her eyes just rolled!:roll:

Rob

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Rob, I would sell my own mother into slavery for just YOUR shop space. I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I can't imagine that not being enough room!!!!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .
As for the 8" long bed jointer, how I would love to have one of those! It might be tough to fit it in my shop though, considering it's only 8' by 10' :crybaby2:

Sorry 'bout the jointer problems Marco . . . but I've finally found someone with a shop smaller than mine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IIRC you live near Southpoint . . . . so do I. We need to get together and commiserate :BangHead:

Roger

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Roger,

I'm willing to get together any time and ruin some wood :eusa_danc

In fact, we need to get some durham woodworkers together for lunch some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS