Jointer size opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan04

New User
Josh
So looking for my first jointer and looking at some size options...

For the value representation combined with good build and quality reviews, I have pretty much decided on Grizzly/Shopfox for my manufacturer.

Now I am looking at a couple models and also trying to decide on the spiral cutterhead.

I am looking to get an 8" (490/490x) and pretty much think I will start with the spiral on that one. Or should I go ahead and jump to a 12"

Besides the obvious its larger :-D, what real advantages does it have over the 8" that I should factor in, like some real world examples.

I am also thinking about getting a 15" planer at the same time which I think for sure I would get a spiral cutterhead and I was thinking about a larger planer but I don't see the purpose really when I think I will get a drum sander like the Jet 22-44 that I have had my eye on... love that open side for doubling up :)

As always, any guidance/thoughts are much appreciated... need to post up some recent gloats soon too... think I will take some pics of the shop this weekend.

Josh:tool::eek:ccasion1

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Josh, one nice thing about wider jointers/planers is the width of the boards that you can process.

Projects made from narrower boards are common; sometimes it's fun to be able to build with fewer (and wider) pieces. It also gives you more options in terms of taking advantage of wood patterns in your projects.

I don't think that you will regret buying the larger jointer.

Re the spiral cutterhead - I have really enjoyed mine. One nice thing about them is that the carbide inserts require much less sharpening than HSS knives, and if you get a nick in one all you have to do is turn it.

Regards,

Scott

titan04

New User
Josh
Thanks for the insight and that is the general line I have been running on and have been debating on the extra hit now to avoid a regret later on size.

Another question I have is about the wood I have had cut... the majority of the wood, 75%+ is 15" or wider boards... so what would you do in that scenario?

I think my biggest question revolves around that and how you would get around that without necessarily having to cut the board and edge joining it back.

Keep in mind here too I am beginning woodworker and understand some of the principles but haven't used a jointer in a long time and then only used one for edge jointing.

But I think the jointer/planer/drum sander will finish out my equipment for a long time... well that and maybe setting up good dust collection with a cyclone maybe :-D

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you have a 12" planer, you can joint wider boards than with an 8" planer. The question is: Will that happen frequently enough to make this a good investment? Answer this question with "yes" and get the bigger machine :) Of course, I may be biased in my opinion since you live in Cary and I might need a favor in the future...

But seriously, if you plan to make large tops for say tables and dressers, you'll like having the extra capacity. If not, well, you can always rip wide boards into narrower boards and then joint them. Nothing wrong with that, except when making large panels. Those look better with wider boards.

As for the larger planer, same story. Even with a 12" jointer, you'll run into the occasional wide board you just can't bear to rip into smaller pieces. With a planer sled, you can tackle those boards. Having a drum sander helps, since you can use that to flatten a glued-up panel. But a planer may be quicker.

(This all coming from a guy with a 6" jointer and 12" lunchbox planer)

titan04

New User
Josh
Well I still have a lot to learn Bas, and I think from talks at the Chinese place you only live like 5-10min away... I also have a MM16 that is hooked up mostly now that could use an additional workout from time to time...

I just mostly finished up my DP table last night and next on the list is to build a flip-top cabinet to house my grinder and rigid spindle/belt sander...

I guess one of my biggest questions is the if I will use it enough... I have mostly wider boards or will have mostly wider boards than the 12" jointer even :p

titan04

New User
Josh
Re the spiral cutterhead - I have really enjoyed mine. One nice thing about them is that the carbide inserts require much less sharpening than HSS knives, and if you get a nick in one all you have to do is turn it.

Regards,

Scott

Scott, I also think you have me additionally sold on the spiral cutterheads here... less work for me = much happier me... though I can only imagine how fun it is to switch all the edges at once for that fresh cutting edge :dontknow:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Josh, it's not so much the width of the board that you have in stock, it's width of the board that you need for your project. If you need something 18" wide, do you want to have a 15" and a 3" edge joined, or two 9 inchers? if the latter, the 12" jointer would be fine. You'd simply rip the board to width prior to jointing.

On the other hand, if most of your projects can utilize a board larger than 12", and you'd like to build those projects with large boards, then consider a 16".

There is usually a pretty significant price jump between a 12" and a 16" jointer.

If you go with a 12", there are a few NCWoodworker.net members within 30 minutes of you that have a 16" jointer. I know that Travis has one up in Wake Forrest, and I have a 25" that will be operational in a couple of months.

Re swapping out all of the carbide inserts.... yeah, that does take a while!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I guess one of my biggest questions is the if I will use it enough... I have mostly wider boards or will have mostly wider boards than the 12" jointer even :p
Only you can answer that question, it depends on your projects.

Let's say I build a dresser. 5" drawer fronts, frame & panel construction, top made from plywood edged with hardwood. I can do all that stuff on a 6" jointer, since none of my project pieces exceed 6". If my board is 7" wide, I simply edge joint, rip, and then face joint.

Let's say I build a massive dining room table. From 8/4 walnut boards that are 20" wide. Can you imagine ripping that into 6" pieces and then gluing them back together? :slap: That's a crime against woodmanity. But, I might build such a piece once or twice in a lifetime. I can't justify the expense (I don't have the space for a 20" jointer either"). I'll just pretend to like the people here and get them do to me a favor. :evil:

I don't think anybody ever said "I wish I'd gone with the smaller/ less powerful machine". But, don't look upon this as a lifetime purchase. There is nothing wrong with buying an 8" jointer and then upgrading to a 12"/ 16"/ 20" later. Chances are, if you're not in a hurry you can probably score a bargain, and come out even or ahead in the process. The only problem of course is moving the equipment in- and out of the shop. That's why you have to be nice here on the web site and make friends :gar-Bi
If you're the kind of person that will simply hate themelves for being cheap and then regretting it, go for the 12".

Or split the difference and get an 8" jointer and 20" planer. :rolf:

titan04

New User
Josh
Excellent points and exactly the reason I have been asking questions... I was looking merely at the size of my stock and not the size of what I would be working on. I would do all types of projects from tables to cabinets, dressers, entertainment centers... a little of everything.

I think I can justify a 12" but 16" is a huge jump and as you say there are people around that may be willing to donate a few minutes of jointer time...

Great thoughts on both accounts and thanks for the leveling there of quit thinking so much about stock and consider more what I will be making :p

titan04

New User
Josh
If you're the kind of person that will simply hate themelves for being cheap and then regretting it, go for the 12".

Or split the difference and get an 8" jointer and 20" planer. :rolf:

LOL, I can be that way especially if I was considering 1 of 2 options :)

and more of a LOL on the next one... that is an even bigger jump up :eek:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I was one of the members who was part of the Shopfox 8" jointer group buy 2 years ago and have been happy except for one problem. I had to get a new motor which was covered under their warranty. Had the jointer been Grizzly the warranty would have expired. Gotta love that off-white paint!

As far as size remember the Woodguy credo: "No such thing as "too big"!:wwink: Seriously... I would go with an 8" jointer minimum and get the longest infeed you can.

RayH

New User
Ray
1. How much money you got?
2. How much space you got?

Nobody ever got fired or criticized for having something too big (or too good) if it was within the bounds of 1 and 2, above.

If you buy it, you will use it.

Good luck on your choices.:icon_thum

Ray

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I have am 8 inch Jointer with spiral head and a 15 inch Planer with spiral head and I have had a few times where a bigger jointer would have been great. If you can afford the 12 inch I say get it

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am surprised no one has mentioned substituting the planer with a drum sander.

Go

titan04

New User
Josh
I am surprised no one has mentioned substituting the planer with a drum sander.

Go

Could this really work long term? I know it would take more passes to do this as it could only take off so much at a time... but all the wood that I have is from a bandsaw mill so it "could" work I suppose...

I just don't know about doing that for a long term solutions, Thoughts?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I think too many people buy consumer grade drum sanders expecting them to take big bites and are dissapointed by how little they can remove with them. They are great for taking down a rough surface from a bandsaw or thicknessing narrow stock but my experience with a 16" DS is if I try to take more than the height of the abrasive (~1/128" w/32 grit paper) on wide boards it bogs down on the slowest feed rate and trips the circuit breaker.

I guess you could do most of the thicknessing job by face jointing and then run your board through a sander to mill the rough side. Face jointing is one of those jobs I'm not totally comfortable with and only do the least amount I can get by with. I still like my fingers too much I guess.:dontknow:

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I'm as big of a fan as anyone for larger machines but will probably go against the grain on this one. I had a 8" jointer for a long time and noticed that I was wearing out a 5" width of the table and knives. To make a long story short, I sold the 8" and got a 6" with the helical head. My shop is less crowded (space was an issue also) and the helical head outperforms any knife deal I ever had. In a few years now with the 6" jointer, I've never needed a larger one.

If you work with wide boards that need that width in the project, bigger is necessary. If not, think about it before committing a bunch of money just to get a big jointer! Your needs rule.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
To make a long story short, I sold the 8" and got a 6" with the helical head.
That almost qualifies as sacrilege! :swoon::swoon: The _right_ answer would have been to get a 12" jointer, so you could wear out two 5" sections without having to change knives :rolf:

What's next, people suggesting we use hand tools? :eek:

But, you make an excellent point, let your projects dictate what you need, not just horsepower/ size. Sounds like having all those tools for review has immunized you against WGD!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Jointer size..... AAAHHHHHHHH..... My type of thread.

First, DEFINITELY GO SPIRAL. Preferably shelix. The difference in cut quality and noise is AMAZING!!!! I would have never believed it.

As for what size to get, that is a matter of space available, power available, and wallet size.

First off, if I was seriously into woodworking, about using the jointer to flatten boards, have the shop space, and ultimately the money to do it, I would not start with a 6". I had a 6" for many many years and it served me well, but that extra 2" is worth a lot more than I would have thought. Now, if the same logic still works with a 12", get it. If you need anything bigger than that, it is time to step up to the world of 3 phase power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors