Jointer Knife Setting Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Out of all the housekeeping chores around the shop, my least favorite is changing jointer knives. I ran across this video on Fine Woodworking's site. The jig looked simple to make and use so I made a pair. Worked absolutely great. No guesswork - just use the jigs and the knives are perfectly set. Total time: 2 hours. That's 10 minutes to set the knives and an hour and 50 minutes trying to get the blade guard tensioned and re-inserted into position - thanks Delta for a wonderful design. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

At any rate, if you need to replace jointer knives - check out this jig.

IMG_23181.JPG

View image in gallery

Ernie

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow. What a great video. I've been looking at buying a set of "real" ones. This is sooooo much better.

Thanks!!!!

Travis

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Made a set and got a byrd head before I could use them.
Anyone wanting them, contact me.

Mike

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wow. What a great video. I've been looking at buying a set of "real" ones. This is sooooo much better.

Thanks!!!!

Travis
Before wasting / spending money on a store bought one, check over at Woodnet / Saw Mill Creek for a thread on the Jointer Pal. I have a set of John White's design (FWW shop manager-retired) hanging on the side of my tool box. But I still check with dial indicator, and do the final test using the sticks. The sticks don't lie!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I have had a set like that for awhile, mraudio is using them right now.

And I haven't used them yet, had them for 4 days now. :BangHead:

Gonna use them for sure Monday! Need the jointer

Made a set and got a byrd head before I could use them.
Anyone wanting them, contact me.

Mike

I'll take them Mike if no one has asked yet. Borrowing Earls, and was going to make my own, but hey whatever saves time~! :gar-Bi

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
But I still check with dial indicator, and do the final test using the sticks. The sticks don't lie!

Very true words. David Fenton came over a few years ago with his dial indicators and I had my store bought jointer pals. Although the jointer pals work, we found that when you tighten the bolts the knives move and caused them to come out of alignment. We finally abandoned the jointer pal and went directly with using the dial indicator to do the alignment. I think it took around 3 hours, and it was unpleasant.

Almost as unpleasant as Golden Corral.:wink_smil

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Very true words. David Fenton came over a few years ago with his dial indicators and I had my store bought jointer pals. Although the jointer pals work, we found that when you tighten the bolts the knives move and caused them to come out of alignment. We finally abandoned the jointer pal and went directly with using the dial indicator to do the alignment. I think it took around 3 hours, and it was unpleasant.

Almost as unpleasant as Golden Corral.:wink_smil

I've never seen a Jointer Pal and don't know how strong the magnets are. I can tell you, these ceramic magnets from Radio Shack are strong. In fact, with three magnets glued to the jig it just about takes two hands to pull it off the jointer bed. I checked the knives with a dial indicator after using the jig and these knives didn't move a bit when tightening the bolts. Considering the strength of the magnets, I didn't think they would.

Ernie

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I tried that jig as well and it just plain did not work for me. My knives slid all over the place. It takes a little longer to set them with the dial indicator but not by much, and I know beyond a shadow that they are perfect.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I've never seen a Jointer Pal and don't know how strong the magnets are. I can tell you, these ceramic magnets from Radio Shack are strong. In fact, with three magnets glued to the jig it just about takes two hands to pull it off the jointer bed. I checked the knives with a dial indicator after using the jig and these knives didn't move a bit when tightening the bolts. Considering the strength of the magnets, I didn't think they would.

Ernie

I just Used Earl's Magnet jointer Jig the other day. And let me tell you they work great, but I do have some advice if you happen to do what I did.

My review/how to.

1: First losen all the bolts and pull out the blades and blade tightener and clean sawdust.
2: Lower the set screws all the way down.
3: Lower the outfeed table slightly, if not then like mine the Zero on the infeed was above the mark and still cutting 1/16". :BangHead:
4: Put blade and tightener back in one at a time with blade in same spot each time.
5: Alternatly tighten each bolt slightly, and tightening more little by little. Don't tighten one fully as it will slide the blade either foreward or back, not so sure it makes it higher or lower, but better safe than sorry.
6: Repeat 4 & 5 And raise the set screws till it touches the bottom of the blade, don't want them moving.
7: Now Check to see if each blade will move a block of wood 1/4 and do it in three different places on each blade. Don't want one side higher than another.

If they all seem to move the wood the same amount in different locations on the blade then you should be good to go. If not, then you must have had one blade in a different location than another.:eusa_doh::gar-Bi

I would say these Magnet Jointer jigs work great! Are Cheap! Easy to use! Home Made and easily re-made! And only took me 10 minutes...... each time. As I had to do it again do to the outfeed table being to high and my infeed was way above the zero mark.

I would recomend these to anyone....Now I have never tried any other jig for a jointer, and this is my first jointer...a ridgid 6 1/8"

Hope this helps anyone, someone! Myself in the future! :rotflm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS