Jigfest at Joe's - part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Last Saturday a few of us managed to shake off the turkey-induced lethargy and build some more jigs.

Mike (lottathought) lost in thought...or just zoned out:

Joe (Joe Scharle) preparing some stock to demonstrate the tapering jig:

Geoff (BigDog) "supervising":

Mac (skysharks) doing something useful. Don't let the blur fool you, that's the problem with a phone camera, even the slowest of movement looks fast. He doesn't saw all that quickly....

Here is the (almost) completed ripping jig from the first workshop. I need to add a magnet in the track so that it is held to the table. I already have the magnets that hold the stop against the fence. The jig works great, I ripped a bunch of 1/8" strips and they're dead even in thickness.

Here is the tapering jig. I want to edge band the fence and I need to get some more appropriate T-nuts (these are too long - poke your eye out if you're not careful), but it's pretty much done. I may need to use fasteners after all. I epoxied all the T-track, and it looks solid, but I hear a tiny bit of creakage when I tighten the fence/ stop blocks. It's probably OK, but adding some good screws can't hurt.

Joe, thanks again for hosting this. Not only did I end up with some great jigs, I learned about how to make them. It takes quite a bit of time, effort and material to build something solid. But it's well worth the effort.

And Wayne -thanks for providing the countersink bits. Those things are great!

Last edited:

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Looks like it would have been a fun day. Wish I could have been there. On the other hand, I went to NYC to see my niece in the Macy's parade.

DSC_0292.jpg

Matt

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Hey Matt, nice hijack!!

Yes, it was a fun day at Joe's on Saturday. Jigs are a great help in the shop and getting to know Joe makes making them even better. If he invites you into his shop, go. Just don't go when Bas is there!:rotflm:

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Thanks for the updae on the Jig King workshop. When is the next jig making day? I have been slammed over the last few months but I am freeing up now.

tv

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bas, let me know how those toggles work for you.

Regarding workshops: just PM me when you'd like to drop by and I'll let you know if it will work for me.

Nothing formal here and I'm usually available M-S.
Joe

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, let me know how those toggles work for you.
Haven't used them "live", but so far, they look good. The stock is held very solidly, I really have to push hard to move it. The only thing I need to do is replace the threaded rod with a longer piece. It's fine for thick stock, but for ripping thin stock (<1"), the clamp doesn't reach. Easy to fix.

BTW, these clamps are from Harbor Freight, I think they were $3 or $4 with a coupon.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I had a great time and, like I told Joe, learned a ton.
And I was not zoning...I was watching.:gar-Bi
Lots of little things to pick up on when doing my next project.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now how did I know that your jig had to be JET White, Bas!!!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Those toggle clamps look like they should work well. (And they are JET red!)

Looks like another great time was had by everyone! (Was Mac the only one that worked up a sweat?)

Well done guys and thanks for sharing the photographic proof that it did happen.

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now how did I know that your jig had to be JET White, Bas!!!
You know, I never thought of that :) The reality is not that it's JET White, but Melamine Cheap!

Those toggle clamps look like they should work well. (And they are JET red!)
Those clamps work well indeed. But again..they're Harbor Freight Cheap, not JET Red :)

But now you have me thinking. Do they make red T-track? Thanks for nuttin'!! What's next, color-coordinating my glue bottles? :gar-La;

M

McRabbet

Shop Fox T-track is RED -- available in 3' lengths from Klingspor...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Just to compare my jig with the Dubby, I ordered one from Peachtree last week when they were $59.95. Put it together this AM and cut 4 short legs. Compared to my shop built jig:

Dubby_Taper_Jig.JPG

The sled is a Melamine covered 1/2" (metric equiv) but the core is stiffer than I can buy from the BORG. Minimal significant value.

The fence is 1/2" (metric equiv) extruded aluminum. Significant value.
It's anchored to the sled at 3 points along channels routed underneath, which is probably more secure, but makes adjusting the fence a little cumbersome. The middle anchor gets in the way of moving the hold downs. To cut anything over 3/4" thick, I had to make 1/2" ply riser blocks for the hold downs.

The miter track runner has the anti-tip buttons on each end and 4 bullet head set screws for snugness. This is a one size fits all compromise and the value may or may not be significant to another user. With 4 pre-drilled runner positions, it should be adaptable to any saw. Significant value. If your saw has standard cabinet saw miter channels, the sled can be trimmed to run in either side. Significant value.

The main drawback for me is that I can't run the legs 'back wards' due to the design of the stop (would get cutoff) and it places the rear hold down in-line with the blade. Negative significant value. My work around was the little 1/2" ply blocker on the LH side of the blade.

Dubby_Taper_Jig_1_.JPG

At $59.95, I feel this jig has good overall value, especially for those without the tools to plow slots and T-track channels easily. However, I think that if I could find a fence like the Dubby at a reasonable price, my version could be made by any woodworker easily and quick.
Maybe I can get Bruce Wrenn on the case?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Just to let the guys at the last jig fest know, I used those little legs and some of the scrap we all trip over to make this:

DSC03861.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just to let the guys at the last jig fest know, I used those little legs and some of the scrap we all trip over to make this:
Ketchup makes everything taste good. Tapering makes all scrap look professional :)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS