Jet 16/42 Lathe Review w/ tons of pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

After seeing the great deals on the G0698 and the Jet 1642. I decided on the Jet 16/42 and I bought it on Friday July 2nd. ANd was told it would get here on the 9th or 10th.

Well the Jet 16/42 got here today at 2:15...:eusa_danc :banana: :eusa_danc

Bad news~! I got free shipping...You ask how is this bad news... Well it was on the back of a semi truck and no lift service, IE free shipping.

So I backed my truck up to it and the truck driver and I loaded onto the bed of my truck, then I backed the truck into the garage and we lowered it to the garage floor.

Goodness thats heavy.:XXfridge:

Anyone want pictures? Or a review once I get it set up? :nah:.................... :rotflm:

I'm Soooo Excited~!!! :banana:

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Re: Holy Cow it's Here Already~!

pics are mandatory..... no pics? didn't happen.:no:

:rotflm: ah gees congrats Matt. ya done good.:icon_thum

decibel

New User
Patrick

I'd like to see pics and review since I've been considering this one myself. I hope you back is holding up from lifthing that thing. Jet has made a man out of me with trying to lift the jointer and drum sander :gar-La;

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

pics are mandatory..... no pics? didn't happen.:no:

:rotflm: ah gees congrats Matt. ya done good.:icon_thum

Hey Fred,

Thanks and since you asked here's the first two pictures.

More to come once I get it unpackaged, setup, :icon_thum.......and camera battery charged.:eusa_doh:

jhreed

New User
james

Hey Everyone,

After seeing the great deals on the G0698 and the Jet 1642. I decided on the Jet 16/42 and I bought it on Friday July 2nd. ANd was told it would get here on the 9th or 10th.

Well the Jet 16/42 got here today at 2:15...:eusa_danc :banana: :eusa_danc

Bad news~! I got free shipping...You ask how is this bad news... Well it was on the back of a semi truck and no lift service, IE free shipping.

So I backed my truck up to it and the truck driver and I loaded onto the bed of my truck, then I backed the truck into the garage and we lowered it to the garage floor.

Goodness thats heavy.:XXfridge:

Anyone want pictures? Or a review once I get it set up? :nah:.................... :rotflm:

I'm Soooo Excited~!!! :banana:
Glad you got the Jet. I know you will enjoy it. How do you get your wife to let you purchase all these toys? Is she blond and just doesnt notice them?
James

jhreed

New User
james

Glad you got the Jet. I know you will enjoy it. How do you get your wife to let you purchase all these toys? Is she blond and just doesnt notice them?
James
You will love the electronic variable speed.
James

woodArtz

New User
Bob

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

James

James What do you mean by all these toys? :icon_scra

I haven't bought anything in a long time, plus I sold most of my small tools in NC. Sold the trailer, that went into savings so no money from that. :eusa_doh:

Then the military gave us a much larger moving pay check then we thought we'd get. :swoon: So we split it. And I already had 1/3 saved from selling tools and bowls.

And she's brunett. :gar-Bi

Thanks James, I know I will enjoy the eletronic variable speed, I've trid Charlie's PM Lathe, Woo Wee it's NICE~!:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Nice Matt! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :icon_thum

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

Anyone want pictures? Or a review once I get it set up?

No, don't bother. Nobody here wants to hear about your shiny new tools...or see pretty pictures of shiny new tools...or talk about tools...or dream about tools...or flip through tool catalogs...or read tool reviews...or...

:rotflm:

I guess I can't say that with a straight face!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Congratulations on your new toy.. er tool.. purchase.

So far I haven't been drawn into the lathe vortex, though I'm sure it will happen one of these days!

Take care and enjoy, we look forward to seeing some of your new work.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

No, don't bother. Nobody here wants to hear about your shiny new tools...or see pretty pictures of shiny new tools...or talk about tools...or dream about tools...or flip through tool catalogs...or read tool reviews...or...

:rotflm:

I guess I can't say that with a straight face!

Thanks Chris,

I sure didn't want to waste my time sharing some boring review with everyone~! :rotflm:

Welp here is the first day/nights review with multiple pictures, I heard somewhere that NCWW love pictures.

Pros:
1: It's very easy to assemble. After I got one guy to help lift it onto the legs, it took less than 20 minutes, including tightening the 4 allen head screws per leg (8 total screws) legs tapped for the screws. And wiping it down, getting all the grease off of it.
2: The white color just brightens the shop, very amazing.
3: Very well built, very heavy.
4: Turned it on, Very smooth spinning at 50rpms and up to 3000+rpms. Actually a little scary at the high speed, wow that is fast and I only had the cole jaws on the Jet. :eek:
5: Panel, very easy to read and use. Pull red button out to turn it on, use the dial to get the exact speed you want within a few rpms. IE it went from 98rpms to 101rpms. And if you go below 50rpms on the slow speed it turns stops turning, and slow's it down very quickly~!:icon_thum
6: It has reverse~! :icon_cheers I have so far just turned the dial down to zero to get it to stop, then I have flipped the switch to reverse, then crank up the dial and Wa La. It will go the same speeds in reverse. Very nice feature for sure and helps out with sanding a ton.:eusa_clap
7: Belt chage: I wasn't looking forward to this feature, but wow it is easier than I thought. Very easy. It has a lock screw like the tool rest. You unlock it (the motor) lift the lift handle and tighten the lock screw. Open the belt changing panel and the belt is loose, push it over. Unlock the set screw while holding the lift handle, lower the motor. The motor seems to have enough weight for the right belt tension. Lock the set screw and Wa La belt changed~! :thumbs_up
8: Tool rest has a nice large surface to use. It also has 3 tightening holes depending on if the set screw is in the way, you can move it~! It also pivots on a cicle like bearing, with very smooth operation. Very easy to tighten/lock down to the bed.
9: The bed is fully reinforced, very well built
10: The bed itself: Very smooth finish tool rest, motor, and tail stock all slide easily. The motor you have to lift a little and slide, still very easy and enjoyable to have that feature.

Cons:
1: Faceplate has a dent on the outside corner making the metal protrude on the face of the faceplate making it not flat. :eusa_doh:
2: That's it for con's so far.

Hope this review so far is satisfactory to all my wonderful NCWW's

Here's the pic's that also correlate with my review:

Welp There you go, that's all the pictures I took so far. Sorry I don't have more yet. :eusa_doh:

PS you can kinda see some of my shop in some of the photo's. Still got to get it a little more organized.

Thanks for looking, commenting, laughing, ETC.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Matt,
good luck and you made a great choice.I have the same lathe and absolutely love it.Wail till you add ballast to the lower leg set.On your faceplate,file away the displaced metal till it's flat,you'll never notice the dent again.Although Jet will send you a new one I'm sure.

We need pictures of some turnings.
Greg

dlrion

New User
Dan
Matt!

I cried like a little girl when I saw your pictures! It's just not fair!

You Jerk!
:eusa_booh

jhreed

New User
james
You made the right choice. Just look at the shine on those ground and polished bed ways. The fit & finish are a good sign of a quality tool. It is also a very nice looking tool. The white shows off much better than the colors of some other brands.
James

p.s. I notice that Grizzly has started to copy the Jet color scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS