IWF - NCWWer Get Together (Who's going)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
So, who is going to IWF? Anyone want to have a get together while down there. I'll be going either Wednesday or Thursday most likely. Also we should start talking about car pooling.

I'm going either Wednesday or Thursday from Hickory, NC. Anyone want to ride along?

Thanks,

John

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
John,

How long are you staying? ...and most important what all are you buying?
Do you have any hotel reservations?

I was planning on going, then had to change plans because of work, but that has now been delayed into Sept and I am free again...and I would love to go!

Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'm doing a down and back on the same day. It will be a long day, but that is all the time I can give it.

Thanks,

John

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I just go my show credentials in the mail on Monday.:icon_thum I will be driving done early Thursday morning and probably staying through some time on Saturday. I have reservations at the Holiday Inn which is within walking distance of the convention center. Phil, I'll be sure to stop by your booth to say hello.

D L

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Planning to attend IWF Thursday afternoon and Friday, heading back home Friday afternoon. Staying out by Perimeter Mall and doing the MARTA shuffle...drops you off at the GWCC for $2, free parking at the mall.
We should get together for dinner Thursday night.
Mark

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Let me know about dinner Thursday night. I'll try to make it, depending on the time. I usually get out of the show by 7 - 7:30 so don't wait on me if yall want to eat earlier.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Tarhead said:
Planning to attend IWF Thursday afternoon and Friday, heading back home Friday afternoon. Staying out by Perimeter Mall and doing the MARTA shuffle...drops you off at the GWCC for $2, free parking at the mall.
We should get together for dinner Thursday night.
Mark

I'll be leaving earlier than that since I'm going down and back on the same day. Lots of driving, but oh well. :)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
stoneskippers said:
Cathy and I will be going down very early Sat. morning.

John, tell Cathy Saturday morning will be too late...............all the Hawk scrollsaws will be sold out before then.:lol:

Seriously, I will probably still be be down there on Saturday. I will shoot you guys a PM with my cell number so maybe we can link up down there.

D L

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
IWF Report

Marty Baucom (MLB3164) and I made it back from the IWF (International Woodworking Fair) in Atlanta early this morning after 2 packed days of all things woodworking.

Our trip down included a detour to Pumpkintown, SC (suburb of Pickens:lol: ) to visit Ed Morgano and Clearvue Cyclones. Here we got a detailed tour and demonstration of major suckage (through dryer vent hoses no less!) and learned all about his version of dust collection.

We arrived to the IWF and spent the afternoon hustling around Hall B visiting small equipment vendors.

Got to see Amy Devers at the Festool booth (sorry no pics) and Norm at the Delta booth but did not wait in a looooog line to actually meet him. We connected with DL Ames and Phil Ashley for dinner after we called it a day. Note: the mild wings at Jocks and Jills are a shade hotter than mild!
Day 2 was spent in the large equipment halls and revisiting some of the selected smaller booths. We went by the Delta booth and got to have a ~5 minute visit with David Marks until we were interrupted by David Thiel and the Woodworker's Channel crew.

David Marks is a very down to earth guy and super nice! Even laughed at my jokes!

Some of the cooler things I saw:
Composite staples and nails and special pneumatic guns for them. These can be sanded, cut, stained and matched to the wood.
Very unusual veneers from a Canadian company made out of scrap wood.
Hearne Hardwood's entire display.
New small belt sander from Porter Cable. One handed operation.
New 23g pin nailer from Grex that shoots 3/8"-1 3/4" pins.
New SawStop contractor's table saw.
Jet's copy/improvement of the Tormek sharpener.
Steel City Tools' entire line. Nice tweaks on every tool...especially the bandsaw.
Miter attachment with digital display and a magnetic attachment to adapt to a tablesaw blade for setting tilt angles. http://www.salazarsolutions.com/promiter.php
New clamp adapter from Bessey for straightening crooked decking boards/ wall studs.
Promise from Bosch that a 3HP plunge router w/above the table height adjustment is coming soon.

Highly recommend attending this event when it returns in 2008. Wear comfortable shoes.

Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: IWF Report

Got to see Amy Devers at the Festool booth
Yummy :lol:
Hearne Hardwood's entire display.
Even yummier!! :-D :-D

New SawStop contractor's table saw.
Now that's just cool, what do you think of it. Is it as well done as the their cabinet saw...and what's the cost????

Mark

Thanks for the review, from things I've heard it was all CNC and high industry stuff. Not pretty girls, wood and hot dog nickers :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Just my luck... been working with a couple of clients in Atlanta and been traveling there regularly... and this week I've been working from the home office.:-(

Ray

M

McRabbet

Re: IWF Report

Too bad you missed taking the pic of Amy -- too busy gawking, eh? Sorry I didn't make the trip, too -- from all the reports I've heard, it was a great show and I'll definitely make it next time... I'm intrigues by the ProMiter -- watched the video -- any price info on it?

Rob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Dave,
Sorry, no pricing info on the SawStop but it was very nice. Not able to hang out to talk to anyone...the booth looked like a hornet's nest under attack. More info here: http://www.sawstop.com/products-contractor-saw.htm

Rob,
I think the fellow said the ProMiter will be in the $250.00 range, it was loud in there. (Marty please correct me here if this is is wrong)

Mark

M

McRabbet

Rob,
I think the fellow said the ProMiter will be in the $250.00 range, it was loud in there. (Marty please correct me here if this is is wrong)

Mark
Sounds like Mr. Salazar is very proud of his patent -- don't think he'll sell many at that price... (I'd buy a Dubby or a JoinTech Miter sled instead).

Sounds like you guys had fun...

Rob

MLB3164

New User
Marty
IWF was amazing. This was not a show just for industrial business. You could see ANYTHING woodworking, ANYTHING furniture and much more mixed between. It was well worth the trip. Yes Mark I think the digital miter gauge was around $200.00 to $250.00. I don't know if you noticed but I about fell over when he told us the price. Thanks Phil for a great dinner Thur night. Great food, great company, great woodworking conversation, does it get any better?

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors