Iron wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have been ask about ironwood, and I have never sen it that I know of. I have some brazillizn but nothing domestic. Can some one help me identify?

Thanks
Mark

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Better known as IPE, pronounced E-PAY. Very hard, dense wood. I have some cutoffs from a deck project at my neighbor's if you want a little.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ironwood is a common name for many species of trees. Here domestically Beech (Fagus grandifolia) is often referred to as Ironwood as is Hop-Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana). There is also a tree native to the Sonoran Desert (Olneya tesota).
Here is a good list of species that are called Ironwood -

• Bangkirai, also known as Balau.
  • Carpinus caroliniana — also known as American hornbeam
  • Casuarina equisetifolia — Common Ironwood from Australia
  • Choricbangarpia subargentea
  • Copaifera spp.
  • Eusideroxylon zwageri
  • Guajacum officinale and Guajacum sanctum — Lignum vitae
  • Hopea odorata
  • "Ipe High in silica this wood makes a great decking material. Other common name " Brazilian Walnut"
  • Krugiodendron ferreum — Black Ironwood
  • Lyonothamnus lyonii (L. floribundus)Catalina Ironwood
  • Mesua ferrea — also known as Rose Chestnut or Ceylon Ironwood, from Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia
  • Olea spp. — various olive trees
  • Olneya tesota — Desert Ironwood
  • Ostrya virginiana — Hop hornbeam
  • Parrotia persica — Persian Ironwood
  • Tabebuia serratifolia — Yellow Lapacho
That's the problem with common names...you can call it what you want but it doesn't always relate back to what it is.
If you got some pics I am sure I can ID.
Dave:)

Last edited:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Thanks Randy. Your a bit far away for me but thuis friend of mine is curoius cause of the Gunslinger books. I try to stay away from stuff that hard. :gar-La;

Thanks
Mark

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
DaveO has it down as usual, though in my obscure corner of woodworking (bows, musical instruments and carving mostly) I would go with hop hornbeam (sometimes abbreviated HHB) as being the most likely wood being referenced. Ipe is used a lot in bows, but generally referred to as Ipe or Brazilian _____ (blank filled with other woods it is not actually related to like cherry or walnut).

gator

George
Corporate Member
I couldn't tell you the real name or the scientific name but, what we called Ironwood down home was a smooth barked tree with gray bark and if you looked at any section of the trunk it looked like the highly muscular arm of a person. Just had the muscular ripple you envision on the arm of someone who worked out all the time.

George

Charlottend

New User
Brian
I couldn't tell you the real name or the scientific name but, what we called Ironwood down home was a smooth barked tree with gray bark and if you looked at any section of the trunk it looked like the highly muscular arm of a person. Just had the muscular ripple you envision on the arm of someone who worked out all the time.

George

That about fits the type of tree I always referred to as ironwood. Wish I knew the actual name :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO

George

That about fits the type of tree I always referred to as ironwood. Wish I knew the actual name :)

Most likely you are thinking of American Beech Fagus grandifolia.
It has bark like you are referring to -
3429130780_0f4ed1c49d.jpg

Hophornbeam has furrowed bark that's not smooth.

gator

George
Corporate Member
No - the ones I speak of have the muscular, sinewy look running lengthwise. Just as if you were looking at the forearm of a weathered outdoors athletic type. As I said, I don't know the proper name just what we used to call the tree. Most of the ones I remember had a trunk diameter of about 10"-14"

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Would this be similar -
caca130072.jpg

That's American Hornbeam Carpinus caroliniana AKA Ironwood also.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Yeppers:thumbs_up:thumbs_up - that's the one we call Ironwood down home. Thanks Mr Wood Guru.

George

TedAS

New User
Ted
Dang Dave,
How do you do that????:icon_scra:tinysmile_tongue_t::tinysmile_tongue_t::tinysmile_tongue_t:

You are GOOD:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Definatley Hornbeam - I havn't seen any of it since I moved here though... It grew like a weed back in NY - I used to grab a bit growing wild to use for chisel handles and such...

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
The only wood I have ever thought of as "iron wood" is Lignum vitae. At one time it was used by the Navy and others as ball bearings. It has a slightly oily consitancy which continues after sanding for awhile (un finished).

It is an african "tree" really more of a bush that can live to >2,000 years. The name in latin means "the wood of life". It is the the most dense wood around and will sink in water. It has a density equivilant to iron and a Janka hardness of 4500 (compared with Hickory at 1820, red oak at 1290, and Yellow Pine at 690). I have a small peice that I got way back when I was in highschool. I paid for it by the pound and you can imagine with its density I only have a very small peice. I sanded it to get a look at the grain and it took for ever, but was worth it... stunning. It is true that you can't bang a nail through it... I tried back then...

This is very hard to get, at least the real version. There are number of woods that have assumed the name. The wood is now belived to be endangered.

My thoughts.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS