Interest in a "Build Your Own Frame Saw" Workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good afternoon everyone, I'm looking for a head count for this workshop February 18 starting at 9am, at Bill Clemons shop, cost a $30 donation to NCWW and $5 for pizza as well your cost of materials and hardware. I know I'm excited about doing this I hope you are! I will have with me my saw, and print outs of the plans if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance.

cstandi1

New User
chase
I plan on attending, I just ordered my saw parts yesterday from Badaxe. Apart from materials are their any tools you recommend we bring?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good question, and depends a lot on how you want to build it. So I'll assume hand tools, and I'm bring the set I used to build mine as well. Saws, for breaking down stock 1 cross cut 1 rip, for jointery 2 -12inch back saws 1 cross cut 1 rip, a coping saw. Hand planes, #5, #7, #4, block plane, router plane, spoke shave. Drilling, a bit brace with 1/4" auger bit, an egg beater drill with a 3/32" drill bit. Chisels, 1/4", 1/2", 1". Rasps files and a card scraper will come in handy. Marking and measuring, a ruler and tape measure, a square, a marking gauge, a mortise gauge, a marking knife, a bevel square or gauge, and a pencil. Other tools are saw benchs, bench hooks, and a shooting board. I hope I didn't forgot anything, I think Bill said he had the kitchen sink down there already. I do hope this helps and I look forward to this project.

cstandi1

New User
chase
I will probably do a bit with power tools if possible. I am not really proficient enough with hand tools yet to do this project well, but I will also take it as a learning experiance. I will square up my stock and do some prep work prior to the class to save some time..

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's fine, as I was writing the list I started thinking that this is a lot :help:. However, this is what was used to build the one I have and was the only choice I had in producing this tool. I learned a lot while doing this, as a mater of fact I learn something from every project everyday and it's joy to do so.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I will probably do a bit with power tools if possible. I am not really proficient enough with hand tools yet to do this project well, but I will also take it as a learning experiance. I will square up my stock and do some prep work prior to the class to save some time..

All the tools in my shop will be available for use during the workshop.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
So far we have three participants signed up for this workshop. Is anyone else interested? Have I missed anyone?

USER NAME
NICKNAME

cstandi1​
Chase​
David Justice​
David​
Michael Mathews​
Michael​

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I thought I had posted in this thread already that I won't be there. There is also a scroll saw workshop scheduled for the same day. I'm going to that one. So please remove my name from the list. Thanks!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So how about this question, would you gentlemen like to do this on another date or would you preference not to do it at all? Just asking.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok in March I have available the 4th and the 18th which works for everyone.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Bill, I hope we can get some interest in either of these date, I'm looking forward to it.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's hoping we can get some interest from a few others, that being said, if it's just one that's ok I'll be pleased to work with just one. I also will have a kerfing plane finished and with me as well. I'll be posting pics of that build soon. My day job has been keeping me busy of late and has made shop time limited. Heck I can't complain, life is good!

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I'm very interested in this workshop, in fact I was looking for a saw to purchase when I saw that you are trying to re schedule (thanks!). I can do either date in March.

By the way, I was just looking at the Blackburn site and they have a posting that says orders will take an additional 2-3 weeks. I guess everyone should order the supplies as soon as a date is nailed down.

http://www.blackburntools.com/index.html

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So regardless of the date have you made your purchase and have a ship date?

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
No, I have not bought it yet. I'm not confident I would be able to build it by myself, so if there ends up not being enough interest for a workshop, I don't want to be stuck with the kit.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
David please feel confident that the workshop is going to happen, at present we have two participants and that will be fine. Please feel free to read this thread for I have posted a lot of information and feel free to ask any questions and I'll do the best that I can to answer quickly. I think I'm leaning toward the 18th if that works for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS