Interest in a "Build Your Own Frame Saw" Workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Would you be interested in attending a workshop where you build a frame saw? Below are some pictures if you aren't familiar with what a frame saw is. I am just trying to gauge overall interest, this is not a thread to start a list for people signing up. The workshop would most likely be held in Liberty, NC. The materials for this workshop do have an expense associated with them, so keep that in mind. I don't have exact numbers, but something in the $200 range can be used as a rough estimate at this point, for the purposes of gauging interest level. This would be a one day workshop.

Who is interested?

roubo-saws-at-hearnes.jpg

roubo-plate-in-use.gif

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ths new one thats shown - looks like they were made more for show than work. I couldn't imagine my hands would be comfortable grasping the scrolled ends. Nor do they look like they've seen any work at all. Are you looking at building a working version or a looking version?

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/kpfs

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ths new one thats shown - looks like they were made more for show than work. I couldn't imagine my hands would be comfortable grasping the scrolled ends. Nor do they look like they've seen any work at all. Are you looking at building a working version or a looking version?

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/kpfs

Here's a working version just completed using the badaxe ideas and hardware.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60012&page=3&p=552669

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry I haven't chimed in sooner, it's been a busy few days. The Blackburn tools is the more economical of the hardware kits available, the species and type of wood is really up to the maker, Hickory, White Oak, Walnut, Ash, Poplar, in an eight quarter are all exceptable choices. The width of the frame I recommend it be built to fit the user, I built mine to fit my shoulder width.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
To answer CrealBillys question they are working versions, mine I built with handles but I have used one that was older than any we have seen around built like the pics and it was not uncomfortable to use. This piece was found at an antique fair and I wanted to purchase the thing but the owner had the It ain't for sale price out and we couldn't come to terms. That being said what I have built while rite pretty to look at ain't just a pretty face it can throw down anytime you wanna go.:gar-La;

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've reopened this thread after it expired with no comments for 30 days. There seems to be renewed interest in the project and I wanted to give others a chance to respond if they are interested.

I think we should try to schedule a date and place and set the rules (cost, materials needed, etc) and see if enough sign up to make it viable. The more nebulous the question (are you interested?) the less likely anyone is to commit. Just the way I see things work around here. Schedule it and they will come.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Somehow I missed this thread. I'd like to do it! ....and this thread should be moved to the new category if it's open now.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm good to walk folks through this with what I have done around Feb 18th provided we have a place to do it, Bill had stated he was willing to host. If that's still good with everyone I can put it on the calender

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If that's to soon or not good I would entertain other dates!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm good to walk folks through this with what I have done around Feb 18th provided we have a place to do it, Bill had stated he was willing to host. If that's still good with everyone I can put it on the calender

2/18 is good for me to host.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, Bill, I'll post info on where the hardware and blades can be purchased and what wood can be used for this project tomorrow morning.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael, I hope you can. As promised hardware and blade sources http://blackburntools.com/ or http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/. Woods that can be used are any hardwood that can stand the stress of the blade tension and sawing. I used Cherry but maple, oak, walnut, hickory, ash, poplar all can be used. Finished dimensions for the stock are 1 5/8" x 1 3/8". One thing to note if anyone uses the info from the book of Tom Fidgen the length of the rails are missprinted and are to short (school of hard knocks). I'm going to layout the plans for the Black Burn tools today and check the math. At first glance today they look good. The width of the saw is based on the width of the users shoulders so what's comfortable for me may not be for you. For the record I used only hand tools to build the one I have, you can choose to handle your build anyway you want I'll coach you on any process you choose and I hope learn from y'all as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors