Intarsia Wall Project Part 2

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
New Post started. See previous post for background.
Design for the sky, ground and path are now completed. The first of three panels (each 60"w x 111" high) is essentially complete with the exception of the woman's outstretched hand and her right eye which I managed to completely miss the mark on, making her cross-eyed. Re-do! The hand is very important to the whole scene, so I'm taking my time on carving it.
Here's a picture of the current status - wood count is 1250 parts.

Will add a few more pictures and build description later.

Thanks for following this journey - now a full year long.

Attachments

• Intarsia 4-15-24.jpg
    Intarsia 4-15-24.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
  • Intarsia Part Count 4-15-24.jpg
    Intarsia Part Count 4-15-24.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 105

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
The picture is wonderful! Just beautiful!...but to get the full effect of this piece one must experience it in person. This is a "mind blown" piece! The time, dedication, and amount of work that's gone into this is just astounding! Well done Joe! I can't wait to see the finished piece(s)!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Best use of zoom I have ever had so that I could really see and appreciate the craftsmanship! Amazing wood selection too. Reminds me a little of stained glass.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really great work, Joe! I know from my limited art classes that eyes are tough to get right. Always took an eraser and several tries before I was satisfied.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
A few more pictures - the corrections:
Since the previous build strategy was to glue up characters on 1/4 MDF before fitting in the background, the slightest error in the glue up results in fit problems with the background. The man's head was tilted by (estimated) 0.1 degrees and it caused big problems. The solution was to cut it off and re-orient. I printed mirror image of head outline and adhered to back MDF. Colt router set at 1/4".

The woman's hand was a pretty accurate representation of the reference picture used to create the vectors - the subject has a bit of arthritis causing her fingers to bend as shown. However once carved, I didnt think it would read well so I redrew to straighten and reduced the foreshortening of the pinky.

The man's left shoe (his left) appeared a bit too small once created, so it was remade at about 8% larger. Seems trivial, but makes a big difference. The new version also shows the walnut shadow.

Attachments

• Man Head Cut.jpg
    Man Head Cut.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Man Post Head Cut.jpg
    Man Post Head Cut.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Man Reference Head.jpg
    Man Reference Head.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • Hand Version 2.jpg
    Hand Version 2.jpg