Installing a Curtain Behind Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a small full shop...20 x 20. I have my lathe near the front door and it is really the only place for it w/o major rearranging. Anyhow I am wanting to put up a curtain to help keep chips/dust etc. from getting all over the shop as much as possible. I have 2 sections of T8 lights right in middle of shop and by putting the curtain up at the only place I can it will go right under the lights..I was going to use a tarp with some hooks hanging on 3/4" pvc pipe and that would run under the lights maybe 4" at the most..I was concerned about safety here..The curtain would be pulled back out of the way of the lights when not in use but didnt want to worry about the lights near the tarp/curtain...Any suggestion?..I thought about having one end on a stand that I would move when finished and the other on a rod sticking out from wall but this would be sort of inconvenient. Be better to have it hanging down from ceiling rafters with lights out of way but I need to go the easiest route and dont want to relocate the lights....Thanks for any ideas....!!!

dozer

Mike
Mike, I don't think you have to worry about the heat coming off of those T8 lights, I don't think they get very hot. I have cardboard boxes next to some lights at work and they don't get hot.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I guess I was trying to overthink this ...hahaha...All I need is some eyebolts/hooks and some guy wire or light cable

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I hung a clear shower curtain around the lathe. Tried a colored one (Wife had a spare) but shadows were a problem . Clear one solved that , Just hung it from a few eyehooks with bent up coat hangers from drycleaners. Low tech /but effective.

Rick M

New User
Rick
At times I use shower curtains in my shop to help control dust, don't have one around the lathe though.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have one behind the lathe. I just have 2x2 supports attached at an angle (so that the rod is behind the lathe instead of straight above it) at both ends of the lathe stand with a small recess drilled in each one and one of those spring-inside adjustable curtain rods in between. The recesses just make it more bump resistant (the rod is set into the recess at each end). Most of the chips come towards me, but a few fly back that way. Mostly it keeps me from spreading the mess when I clean up. I have thought about trying to come up with a good way to quickly hang one behind me while working at the lathe to keep chips from spreading too far that way, but haven't done it yet. I want it quick as it would need to be temporary; it would be in the way of other things. Something like a pull down projector screen would be ideal.

CarvedTones

Andy
I have one behind the lathe. I just have 2x2 supports attached at an angle (so that the rod is behind the lathe instead of straight above it) at both ends of the lathe stand with a small recess drilled in each one and one of those spring-inside adjustable curtain rods in between. The recesses just make it more bump resistant (the rod is set into the recess at each end). Most of the chips come towards me, but a few fly back that way. Mostly it keeps me from spreading the mess when I clean up. I have thought about trying to come up with a good way to quickly hang one behind me while working at the lathe to keep chips from spreading too far that way, but haven't done it yet. I want it quick as it would need to be temporary; it would be in the way of other things. Something like a pull down projector screen would be ideal.

found a picture...

CarvedTones3.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Now if you can find a waste container that fits at the bottom of the curtain you wouldn't even need to sweep much (except the "escapee's).

CarvedTones

Andy
Now if you can find a waste container that fits at the bottom of the curtain you wouldn't even need to sweep much (except the "escapee's).

Actually the curtain is touching, but not attached to, the back edge of the top surface of the lathe stand. A substantial amount of waste can be vacuumed up right there. Some falls to the shelf below and some to the floor but it is still a quick job to vacuum. But I have considered making a tray for the floor. I think when sawdust finds the floor it becomes migratory and shows a strong preference for indoor living. :) The shelves on the other side of the curtain have outdoor toys and gardening stuff; lots of little things that it is a pain to clean around. That was the inspiration for the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors