In the market for new bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I am looking for a new bandsaw. I had an older Delta 14" that burned up in the fire but I was never really happy with it. I would like a saw that I can resaw hardwoods, do tight cuts without much vibrating, and control dust effectively via collection system. Anyone have a good solution without breaking the bank?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,
What did you find lacking in the Delta?

How much throat do you need and how much depth (table to blade guard)?

Last, how much do you plan to spend?

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Hands down, I'd get the Rikon 10-325. It's a 14" w/ a 13" resaw capacity. It's not cheap, but highly regarded. once swmbo finally caves, i'm getting one.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A few years ago I upgraded from a Delta 14" to the Rikon 14" (10-325). It is great for resaw w/ a 13" depth of cut. I've never used it for smaller, scrolling work because I kept the Delta for that, but I suspect it would work very well.

It looks like several retailers have it on sale now for $799.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I don't have specific answers - but I will 'comment'

Resaw hardwoods - this is one of the two toughest requirements you lay out. Small pieces should cut well on pretty much any BS, larger work requires careful set up, the right blade, and being able to tension the right blade (meaning a capable saw). So if you want to resaw 12" wide veneer from a prized board, I'm not sure there is any shortcut around the setup work (assuming saw is capable of it).

Tight curves - any saw should be able to do this with a small blade (meaning any saw would be able to tension a small blade well enough to do this). I think the key to scroll work on a BS is to never provide lateral tension on the blade (i.e. never push against the side), but I am certainly no expert here.

Dust collection: an issue I am struggling with somewhat on my own Jet 14" BS.
For normal BS use (cutting <6" thick pieces of dried lumber) my DC hose to collection box under the table (kludged together) works alright. However, cutting in thick, wet wood (i.e. cutting log sections for lathe prep), I accumulated so much stuff around the bottom wheel that it started tracking up with the blade on the left side blade channel. This was not just dust, but wet curls, some dust, and dirt etc from the bark. Clearly this made it past my DC box and into the bottom wheel well. My point? Effective DC depends on what you are cutting.
Perfect DC on a BS is quite elusive. I suspect a good solution likely requires attachment below the table AND in the bottom wheel well (front cover of the bottom door?). Even with that, a top side collection point could help as well for some cuts.
Find a BS with all that - and couple with a powerful DC system and I believe you will be on your way. Newer model BS designs seem to incorporate DC attachment into the design. Of course I have not seen any bargain saws off Craigslist in this category.

As Hank's post above suggests, you may need to define a few things to narrow your choices. For a custom furniture maker a 30" Tannewitz saw (sp?) may be a requirement; for others, making say jewelry boxes, a well tuned 14" saw works great. Throat depth, resaw height, and blade tension capability, together with your budget (ballpark) that are helpful to know.

Hope that helps

Henry

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There was an 18 inch Rikon in the classifieds for $600 did somebody buy it already?

Looks like it is sold already.

I'd go with the Rikon 14 for $799. Klingspor may have it for a little less if you ask nicely...

yep Mike he just missed a good one in out own classified here

I have the Rikon 14 " and like it.... if anyone has a negitive to the saw is the the guides are clumsy to adjust... I found a set of Carter upgrade guides on a table at woodworkers supply a month ago for $50.00 instead of $200.00 but I have not used the saw enough with them yet but they they might be worth what I paid but otherwise the stock guides on the rikon look better and better

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
There was an 18 inch Rikon in the classifieds for $600 did somebody buy it already?

Looks like it is sold already.

I'd go with the Rikon 14 for $799. Klingspor may have it for a little less if you ask nicely...

Yep. That was a great saw and deal. Did someone here get it?

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback. My old Delta vibrated too much for me; however, it may have been a tad overpowered as it was a 3 phase originally and I replaced the motor with a single phase 1.5hp. I did all the upgrades to the wheels and guides but never felt like it was where I thought is should be. I don't mind spending the money on the right saw. I would like to be able to resaw up to 8" and generally the throat of the 14" Delta was satisfactory. I have been looking at the Rikon as well as Powermatic. Thought I may run to Raleigh on Sat in the rain and take an up close look. On a side note my shop is now finished and I am completing the trim work on doors and windows now. Will be moving in the new tools very soon. I will post some pics soon. It looks really good.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
After upgrading from a 14" a few years ago, I would never go back. You don't say what your budget is, but the 17" Grizzly G0513P is on sale right now at $765. You will like the saw as is and the only upgrade you have to make is a good blade. Many saws advertise great resaw capability, but that doesn't mean they perform at those heights of cutting. Good luck.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
After upgrading from a 14" a few years ago, I would never go back. You don't say what your budget is, but the 17" Grizzly G0513P is on sale right now at $765. You will like the saw as is and the only upgrade you have to make is a good blade. Many saws advertise great resaw capability, but that doesn't mean they perform at those heights of cutting. Good luck.

without any price or size guidelines my recommendation will be in the same camp. I went from a modern 14" delta saw toe years ago to a 19", 3hp grizzly g0514x and have never looked back. The added size and weight will dampen vibration better but in my case, it runs so smooth you don't even feel it. The added area of the large table will come in handy when doing tight curves.

i don't remember what I paid but it was a great deal on a pre owned machine that came with a few blades, spare tires, extension table and spare guide bearings...All in it was probably less than any new saw (14" or otherwise) and no shipping.

if you are not in a hurry watch Craigslist and the classifieds here for a deal

BWSmith

New User
BW
Am on the lookout for a nice 24 here.The issue,and reason for post is about,NOT getting rid of any saws we already have.

Have a high mileage Griz 514X that has done extremely well considering the flat out abuse we've put it through.And a '47,14" Delta.And a cpl others in metal world(which aren't important to this discussion).

The thing about the Delta is....and used the heck out of it yesterday....is how fast it gets to speed.Physics,I reckon?....but when doing contour work,and general task work involving small pcs(think dentil pcs on built-up case cornices)...it is our go-to saw in an awful lot of instances.It's just so quick...takes up very little realestate...DC isn't an absolute(even though ours has a pretty trick setup)meaning,we rarely even use it on this saw.I just won't be getting rid of either this saw,or it's role in our shop,mainly because of it's quickness to get up to speed.

The 514 will be put to pasture so to speak when we get the 24.It'll be for smaller resaw duty.Will probably have them nested together,sharing DC.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
A few years ago I upgraded from a Delta 14" to the Rikon 14" (10-325). It is great for resaw w/ a 13" depth of cut. I've never used it for smaller, scrolling work because I kept the Delta for that, but I suspect it would work very well.

It looks like several retailers have it on sale now for $799.

I have it and love it. It's on sale now for $799 and that is a good price.

Red

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I took a trip to Raleigh today and went to Woodcraft and ended up buying the 14" Rikon that was on sale. Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new saw! For the money, it is an very good saw...and if you got it on sale, that is even better. Find a very nice spot for it in your new shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS