I took a Shot at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Mike
Well here are a couple of new pens I got some antler from Dave O and had a few problems with the blank sizing but it turned out just fine.

This one is a brass casing .308 with antler top.

Casing_pen_with_Dear_Antler_Top.JPG

This one is also a casing pen with a Buckeye Burl top.

Casing_Pen_With_Buckeye_Burl_Top.JPG

And the last one is a Chrome Classic American Done in Pink Ivory

Chrome_Classic_American_Pink_Ivory.JPG

As always comments and criticism always welcome

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dozer, I don't see where you had any problems :icon_scra The antler pen looks great, as do all the rest. What did you think of the smell while turning the antler??
The Buckeye burl is awesome, but it takes a lot of CA to keep it from tearing up.
Great job...you're getting the hang of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Nice job on the casing pens. I do have a comment on the choice of casing.
Though the 308 is almost the exact lenght of a slim line tubr,pens made with them always seem to have a "top heavy" look.
If that is the design you are after great.The 30-06 gives a more pleasing appearance to me.
I use a euro tube which is a little shorter than the 30-06 casing.
I use a wood core for the casing and a tenon at the bottom of the top barrel that seats in the casing .It gives the finished pen a nice "flow".
One more suggestion.
The pictures are clear and crisp and are a great depiction of the pen.
Try using the center of the pen as the "focal point" as opposed to the lower section.
In the pictures above you are forcing my eyes to look at the casin which though nicely polished is plain.
My eyes subconsiously want to look at the beauty of the antler and the figure of the grain.
Great job on the flat top American also.I have always liked that tradional styled pen.WHose kit did you use?
My comments are not meant to offend.

dozer

Mike
Thanks all for the comments. Eagle I never take offense to your comments I really value your in put. I will have to try to find some 30-06 casings and give them a try. I am still working on the photos and will try a little different approach on the next ones. I buy my kits from Arizona Silhouettes.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
i may have a couple of 7mm magnum casings around here if they will work

fred

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Very nice looking work Mike :eusa_clap I also like the Pink Ivory :icon_thum

Last edited:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Mike,
Nice pens! The pens and pix are great (I agree with the orientation comments by Eagle, but otherwise they look great). Those are some of my favorite materials and am prob partial to the figure in that buckeye burl...or maybe it's just the Ohio in me coming to the surface :)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors