I need help with a dyed shellac finish

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I am having a problem with spraying a dyed shellac. The finish looks like it has fish eye. But I can't think of any possible contamination . I milled down some soft white pine. I sanded it to 180 and vacuumed the surface. I sprayed two coats of 1 1/2 lb sealcoat shellac. To tint the wood I mixed some fresh flakes to about a 1 lb cut. I added Transtint liquid dye. I used the same gun and settings as I used with the clear sealcoat. It is an Acuspray HVLP conversion gun using about 5 pounds pressure. I tried a reduced spray volume, then an increased pressure. Not much difference. Anyone have any other ideas I might try?
IMG_0844.jpg

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try spraying on a different wood, such as maple. It could be the resin in the pine affecting the outcome.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Hi Berta. I do use paste wax on the saw. If that was the problem, I would have expected it to show up when I sprayed the first coat of clear shellac. This soft pine is not resinous at al. I'm doubting that the problem is really fisheye. It just looks similar. It's more likely a type of orange peel. In any case I suspect it's my spraying technique .

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I was just checking. When I worked at KraftMaid, we had a list of products we could not use. Waxes, hand lotions, etc.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Your fisheye could be caused by puddling, try lighter , faster coats. Whenever Im spraying on tinting, I do it lightly and layer it, your dye intensity can be very high, but you only use a little. Also, I rarely tint shellac, rather use denatured alcohol. I will typically initially seal the wood with shellac. I find its much easier to control the color this way. Many times, I use a spray bottle with my alcohol/dye mixture and just pump spray the color exactly (and lightly) where I need it. Dont be afraid to wipe it to smooth either as long as its with the grain. Hope this helps

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Dirk, I'm spraying indoors with a nearby fan in a window. I don't think there's any contamination from the air.
Chris, you may be on to something. I did seal the wood with shellac first. This white pine was way too blotchy without that. But I was trying to spray the tinted shellac at the same rate as I did the clear. I'll lighten up and see if that helps. Thanks.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Chris you got right to the heart of my problem. I was trying to spray the dyed shellac at the same rate as clear . I cut the liquid flow rate in half and the "puddling" was greatly reduced. That means 4 light coats instead of 2 heavy ones to achieve the color I'm looking for. Thanks for the insight.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris you got right to the heart of my problem. I was trying to spray the dyed shellac at the same rate as clear . I cut the liquid flow rate in half and the "puddling" was greatly reduced. That means 4 light coats instead of 2 heavy ones to achieve the color I'm looking for. Thanks for the insight.
Glad I could help! And as I mentioned, its much easier to sneak up on your desired color this way and or darken areas more than others, like sapwood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors