I made some more wood dizzy last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
And here is the result. The pen is for my brother-in-law (and best friend in high school). It is Macassar Ebony and I'm pretty pleased with the results. :eusa_danc I hope he likes it.

Let me know what you think.

P10100252.JPG

P10100242.JPG

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, another fine pen, your fit looks perfect :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Are you turning these on that old lathe or have you got the new one? What's your finish? How do you like writing with the "bump" near the nib? It sure looks great but does it feel good to hold?
Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, another fine pen, your fit looks perfect :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Are you turning these on that old lathe or have you got the new one? What's your finish? How do you like writing with the "bump" near the nib? It sure looks great but does it feel good to hold?
Dave:)

Hey Dave. Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually turning them on Ed Nelson's Jet Mini. I ordered a Rikon Mini yesterday (pre-gloat) and it will be here in a week or two. My wife tested the pen out and said it feels great. I like the location of this "bump" much better than the second pen, but that is where my daughter wanted it. The finish is Hut Crystal Coat and the pen was sanded to 12000 grit micromesh. I have not been brave enough to try the CA as a finish yet.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Looks like you're really getting the hang of it Mike! They really look good:icon_thum

Thanks. The pics make it look a little rough, but it's actually baby smooth. Thanks for letting me you use your lathe!!!!!! :icon_thum

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
It's difficult to tell from the picture but I detect radial "scratch lines"
What is your sanding schedule and finishing process?

MikeH

New User
Mike
It's difficult to tell from the picture but I detect radial "scratch lines"
What is your sanding schedule and finishing process?

Eagle the pictures make the finish look rough, but the pen is actually very smooth. I spent at least 20-30 minutes just sanding. I sanded with the lathe on and then lengthwise with the lathe off for each grit of sandpaper and micromesh up to 12000 grit. I then used Hut Crystal coat.

Any tips on finishing and sanding?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Eagle the pictures make the finish look rough, but the pen is actually very smooth. I spent at least 20-30 minutes just sanding. I sanded with the lathe on and then lengthwise with the lathe off for each grit of sandpaper and micromesh up to 12000 grit. I then used Hut Crystal coat.

Any tips on finishing and sanding?

Surface prep is what makes a good finish.
like I said in my original post it was hard too tell if there were cross scratches or not.
The scratches I am speaking of would be under the finish the pen would still feel smooth.
After the crystal coat wears of in a week you may see them better.
(Krystal coat sucks)

MikeH

New User
Mike
Surface prep is what makes a good finish.
like I said in my original post it was hard too tell if there were cross scratches or not.
The scratches I am speaking of would be under the finish the pen would still feel smooth.
After the crystal coat wears of in a week you may see them better.
(Krystal coat sucks)

I'm not sold on it either. It seems to dull quickly. What do you use for a finish on your pens?

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Am I the only one who can't see the picture? :eusa_thin well...I'm sure it looks great...I love mac ebony and I certainly don't see any sanding lines..hehe

Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
Am I the only one who can't see the picture? :eusa_thin well...I'm sure it looks great...I love mac ebony and I certainly don't see any sanding lines..hehe

Chris

Chris,
I moved the pics into my pen gallery yesterday and the link must have been broken. I've fixed it now. Take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS