I Give up!!! (pic added)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

I had to remake a door frame for the work truck. After getting it built and the 1st coat of finish on it I decided to see how the art work fit in so I could make the molding to hold it in.

I AM 3" SHORT ON BOTH THE HEIGHT AND WIDTH:kamahlitu:kamahlitu!!!!

I just trashed $55 worth of 8/4 red oak!

Workshop full of tools for sale, because the owner has no woodworking skills :no:

Last edited by a moderator:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: I Give up!!!

Don't give up!

Just change the criteria!

Know that I feel your pain.

I recently helped a friend put up a fence. On four sections I put up the slats within thousandths of an inch precision! Only to find out they were all 3 inches too high......

The key is to make the same mistake consistently!

Jim

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Cant tell ya how many cabinet doors I've made to small or to big....save the oak an make something else........

T

toolferone

I went back to the shop and just sat and looked at all my parts, and then the light bulb went off. The outside of the frame is the correct size. It is the rabbet that is to narrow. I started looking at ways to deepen it. There was no easy way. (Did I mention that it has to be done today!) Well if I cant deepen the rabbet, what if I shorten the poster mounting in it. It turns out that I had enough room around the border to cut it down and not lose any of the graphics!!!!!!!!!!! I am back in the game. I will post a pic when done.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

There's the mark of a true craftsman, take what you have and make it work. Other than a few thousand woodworkers nobody will ever know the difference. :icon_thum

jhreed

james
Corporate Member

With no adversity, accomplishment is not near as sweet! Sometimes we become overwhelmed and must back off and look at the big picture. I have often hesitated to begin a project for fear of ruining the materials. But then I tell myself, if I do not begin I will never accomplish anything. If I ruin the materials, I can at least enjoy making some sawdust.

Congratulations on being able to re-group.
James

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff

My first thought went to "shorten the art". DAMHIK!!!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

T

toolferone

Here is the door complete and hanging and a close up of the corner. This is the new Shalker profile rail and stile bit we just came out with. The door frame is 1-1/4" thick and 2-3/8 wide. It has a 3/8"thick x 2" long tennon. The old door was more like a picture frame with a mitered and splined corner. It was not designed as a door. The new one should hold up much better. It is a full length piano hinge and a window sash lock on the door.
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

frame4.JPG
frame_corner.JPG

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Thank goodness I never made a mistake like that--recently--since I just came in from the shop. Ya done real good on the save Tom. A number of years ago I was working with some Amish carpenters that were very skilled. One of them told me, "The difference between a carpenter, and a good carpenter is, a good carpenter can hide his mistakes." Very wise words, because that's what I've had to do for years, hide my mistakes.:gar-Bi

Nelson

New User
Nelson
Nice save! Whenever I make a mistake (which is much too often), I remind myself of the following quote:
"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." ~Edward Phelps

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I take it your table saw is no longer available at a bargain price then? Normally I'd never take advantage of someone's misery like that, but hey, tools are tools.

:rolf: Good save Tom. I guess this is like the theory of relativity, if one doesn't fit make the other one fit!

Glennbear

Glenn
I am glad you were able to work it out Tom,with 2" long tenons those corners should be very strong. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS