I finally built something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
The Shoppe Widow has a pretty nice little herb garden and she wanted a place to sit in it. she didn't want it pretty and polished , but rough and rustic . Right up my alley as nothing had to fit too perfectly. It is all walnut and may not even last the season, but it is sturdy ( i jumped up and down on it ) , and I am a hero ( for today :rotflm: )

bench21.jpg

bench3.jpg

Guess ya gotta start somewhere :rolleyes:

Thanx for lookin' :mrgreen:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks rustic to me. Just be sure it's sanded well on top. We don't want anybody gettin' splinters. That would turn ya from a hero to a zero real quick! :rotflm:

wayne

New User
wayne
I remember reading somewhere that the heartwood from walnut is as disease and rot resistant as cedar.
Maybe Dave0 can chime in and yea or nea that fact. Looks like the seat has a lot of sapwood but the legs look like plenty of heartwood.
The bench looks good in the setting it's in.

Wayne

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Robert. Tell me. how did your joint the edges to get that bark-look? :slap:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Man thats a kool stool:rotflm:.Why don't you go ahead and put finish on it.At least seal it and then buff it down to remove the shine.Mabe then you will be a hero for a while:gar-La;.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice looking project! looks like it would sit well, and the weather is perfect for sitting very still.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It is all walnut and may not even last the season, but it is sturdy ( i jumped up and down on it )
bench21.jpg

bench3.jpg

If you jumped on it it must be strudy...you're a big ol boy :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I remember reading somewhere that the heartwood from walnut is as disease and rot resistant as cedar.
Maybe Dave0 can chime in and yea or nea that fact. Wayne

Wayne, you are correct Walnut heartwood is a very decay resistant wood. The sapwood is not.
I would recommend putting an oil finish on it like Penofin, Waterlox Outdoor oil finish or something like that. Those are long oil varnishes, they will need touching up down the road, but a scuff sand and wipe-on is all that will involve.
Good looking stuff Robert, I am glad to see that your starting to leave a little bit of wood left in your projects :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great looking first piece. I know Debra will really appreciate it.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Thanx for the encouragement everyone
To be honest I wouldn't know heartwood if it bit me in my sapwood :nah:
I just had a rough ol' piece of walnut I got from Jack ( saw4u ) and I just winged it. As simple as it is , I still had to cut the braces 3 times to get the angles right :BangHead: I don't know how you folks do it and make it look so easy :dontknow:
I planed the seat top to address the splinter issue but left the rest rough , so the heartwood/sapwood issue is present in all of the wood . I did use sanding sealer on the seat, not from any previous knowledge, but it seemed the right thing to do
Time will tell

I almost didn't share it because it is so simple and crude , but hey, we are all family here and many of you have been really patient and helpful with my rookie behind :mrgreen: It's sort of like online refrigerator artwork :kermit:

M

McRabbet

Robert -- it's a nice bench, but don't let LOYL sit on it in this heat!! I agree with DaveO that Penofin is a good choice of preservative and should protect it for some time -- it will take awhile to dry, but it will be worth it.

J

jeff...

Looks nice Robert :) Your wife seems like mine - it's the simplest things she likes best. One thing you may want to consider doing is sealing that bad boy up - for reasons mentioned above and consider good ole carpenter bees with find a home in there before long - especially in the sapwood (white wood). Although they are harmless because they don't have a stinger - they can be quite intimidating at times plus the make perfect little 3/8" holes in your stuff.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Bro! Looks right at home in the garden. And, if YOU jumped on it, it'll be there at the end of the season, finished or not!

:rotflm::rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
Great looking bench Robert and as for being a hero? Carol still thinks of you as a hero for the picture of Clara!

0081.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Robert, it's a great looking bench, I think we've covered that. But I do have one question - why put a fence around the area where she sits? Is that the secret to keeping your wife? :rolf:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Robert, it's a great looking bench, I think we've covered that. But I do have one question - why put a fence around the area where she sits? Is that the secret to keeping your wife? :rolf:

No , it is the secret to keeping my dog :rotflm:

Merlyn would not last the day if he ever set foot in there ! :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS