I created spare parts tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
So I got inspired to go out to the shop tonight to try pen turning day two.

So I thought I would try one of my good pen kits and nice wood blanks, since the first one went so well, I cut the blank to the two lengths required and drill the first hole and messed it up, I don't have a drill press and that was my first mistake.

So, then I decided to turn the other blanks that I had already glued the tubes in, as I was almost finish rounding the wood stock, it split and broke in half, so I got another blank and turned it,

Then I finally finished up turning the two halves, sanded and polished, looked nice,

Pressed the transmission down right to the line, finish the rest of the assembly and the tranmission would not turn, messed around with it and it began to work, but the pen extended about a 1/16th when retracted, instead of waiting until my new punch set arrived, I tried to pull the transmission out since it did not have to pull it just a little bit and broke the transmission.

So all in all, I got a pile of scraps and no pens tonight.

sawduster

New User
Robert
But look at all that valuable experience you gained !! :gar-La;

Man O man do I feel your pain ! :tongue2:

Last edited:

Glennbear

Glenn
Sorry for your mishaps Ken :tinysmile_cry_t: As Robert alluded to we have to chalk up these episodes as learning experiences, I know I have had reason to MANY times :gar-La; I can offer no advice on pen turning or assembly since I have yet to make one but you are welcome to bring your blank collection out here to Baskerville to use my drill press to make some holes. If interested send me a PM. :wsmile:

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Seems like there is a need for a pen drilling jig, I see a small press that has a center point registration and a cam clamp that holds any shape of material and a ceramic or hardened steel guide bushing for perfectly centered holes in any pen blank.

My usual 10% if you use my idea please.

Glennbear

Glenn
Seems like there is a need for a pen drilling jig, I see a small press that has a center point registration and a cam clamp that holds any shape of material and a ceramic or hardened steel guide bushing for perfectly centered holes in any pen blank.

My usual 10% if you use my idea please.

Thanks a lot Mike !! :realmad: Just what I needed, another item to add to my never ending list of future shop jig/tinkerer projects. :gar-La; Hmmmmm :eusa_thin I do have a smaller drill press currently dedicated for metal work.......... :wsmile:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I almost had your problem one day, but I noticed I was smashing the transmission. So I looked around for something to go in the end to push it out. I used a Hanger, cut the straight part and it worked fine. It did scratch up the inside, but who is going to see that.

And like Robert said, It's Valueable experience. Just think if you made 10 of them before you noticed that.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
I have had all of those things happen to me also,but not in the same day :mrgreen: Just take a deep breath and go at it again.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
I have had all of those things happen to me also,but not in the same day :mrgreen: Just take a deep breath and go at it again.

I forgot to mention, determined to finish at least one pen, I squared off one blank and started on the second when the tube came out with the tool, so that is when I went back in the house for the night.

Maybe I should just buy pre-drilled blanks.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I have done all of the same things, more than once. The blow out while turning only seems to happen on the most beautiful and most expensive blanks. Do not trust the groove as a landmark. press in a little, try the refill, press in some more, try the refill etc.
I have not been successful in salvaging the transmissions.

Mike, can you make a drawing. I drill with a press and still get the hole off center. Makes turning a pain.

James

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Ken, don't feel bad. ALL pen turners have been there, done that!

I too have a drill press with homemade jig for drilling blanks. I also have a homemade pen press (stole the idea from Gator:embaresse) for pressing the pen parts together. Makes it easier to control the depth.

I'm about 30 mins. south of you. You are welcome to use my equipment if you want to drill a bunch of your blanks.

If you want to come by drop me a PM.

Good luck

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ken, I hear ya buddy. :wink_smil I have a drill press and still get the holes off center. Can't imagine doing it with a drill. :swoon: If I were you, I'd go out and grab the Ryobi bench top drill press and order this to help with centering. I just use the little vise that came with my Ryobi drill press and it works fairly well, but at some point I'm going to order that center vise or build one.

As for assembly, I just use one of those Irwin quick grip clamps and that has worked fairly well also. :icon_thum

Either way, you've inspired me to try and turn a pen today. :eek:ccasion1

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken you are not alone. Give it time. It will come together for you.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Ken,

Get you a set of these. I have a set and they are very handy if you need to remove pen parts - not that I have ever had to use mine for that purpose.:BangHead:

cskipper

Cathy
I drill my blanks (when I'm actually in the same state as my lathe and spending time turning) on the lathe. Also, when dismantling a pen, protect the tip and wood. It's at least as frustrating getting one apart to discover that you mangled the wood in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS