How would you resaw 22+ inch wide slab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
I've got a slab of Honduras Mahogany that I would like someday to resaw to make two single-board tabletops. It is 22+ inches wide by 2 3/4 inches thick and 42 inches long. I looked at a Laguna 37" bandsaw that looked like it would do it but at 7+ grand I decided there must be a better way (it's height of 113 inches was also a bit of a problem!) The thought of handsawing it doesn't appeal to me and I hate the thought of losing a good part of the thickness to a chainsaw. I suppose I could rip it in half across the 22 inch dimension, resaw the 11 inch wide boards and glue them back together but it would be better to leave them in one piece.

Any ideas?

Dave

woodguy1975

New User
John
Take it to someone with a horizonal sawmill like Kyle or Jeff and have it cut in half. That is an easy job for one of those guys. :)

J

jeff...

Dave, Would be glad to resaw that for you. Send me a PM and we can figure out how to get it here.

Thanks

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
One other option- cut it in half, resaw each half and glue the halves back together. You'd only be losing the width of the kerf and you'd never see the long grain glue line and it would be just as strong as a solid board.

Still a 11+" resawy isn't easy with a bandsaw!

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Alan,

You're right of course but since I was fortunate enough to find a 22" wide plank it somehow seems sacrilegious to cut it in half. As you say, I suspect that very few, if any, people would notice. But I would know and it would drive me nuts!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS