how wood measurements work....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
First off, I am new to woodworking.... I see wood for sale.... 4/4,8/4 etc. at 2.00 b/f. I understand that 4/4=1 inch thick, 8/4=2 inch thick. But with the 2.00 b/f does this mean a linear foot? or a square foot? I thought it was a linear foot until I saw an ad for 6 inch, 8 inch and 4 inch boards for 2.00b/f. Could someone please explain to me the way that wood is measured, so I can know what I am talking about and understand what I see... Thanks!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
First off, I am new to woodworking.... I see wood for sale.... 4/4,8/4 etc. at 2.00 b/f. I understand that 4/4=1 inch thick, 8/4=2 inch thick. But with the 2.00 b/f does this mean a linear foot? or a square foot? I thought it was a linear foot until I saw an ad for 6 inch, 8 inch and 4 inch boards for 2.00b/f. Could someone please explain to me the way that wood is measured, so I can know what I am talking about and understand what I see... Thanks!

multiply thickness in inches by width in inches by length in feet and divide by 12. usually anything less than 1 inch is still calculated as 1" thick if it is already surfaced.

Jerry

J

jeff...

Thickness rounded down to the nearest 1/4" X Width rounded down to the nearest inch X Length rounded down to the nearest foot / 12 = BF.

screw that /144 BullS that's how they retail lumber - real lumber is not sold that way because no sawmill buys logs that way. If a log comes into the sawmill 8'8" long it's considered 8' long, if it's 7' 11" long it's considered 7' long

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thickness rounded down to the nearest 1/4" X Width rounded down to the nearest inch X Length rounded down to the nearest foot / 12 = BF.

screw that /144 BullS that's how they retail lumber - real lumber is not sold that way because no sawmill buys logs that way. If a log comes into the sawmill 8'8" long it's considered 8' long, if it's 7' 11" long it's considered 7' long

and then there is granville county BF!:rotflm: thats the math we prefer.:gar-La; Retailers usually give you an inch....almost....sometimes.....untill you need it!:rolf: Then they take a half inch from the width and up to a half inch from the thickness just to make it fair......:kamahlitu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS