How to finish detailed fretwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I know that I've read here, or in one of the SS forums, about dipping pieces in Danish (or similar) oils, which makes sense to me. I think "they" said they soak it for 30 minutes, wipe off the excess and let it dry. Repeat as desired. Finish with Deft spray?

Ya'll know that I have to get around to finishing all these detailed projects. There's no way to spray places like inside the hummingbird's wing feathers, or the horse's mane. Just wanted to check on the process.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I am quite fond of the dipping method for fretwork . Not sure about the 30 min part though. I only leave mine in for a couple of mins , then place it on a rack that fits over my pan and let it drip for 5 mins or so. I then place it on a few thicknesses of paper towel and carefully press another few thicknesses on the top. ( wax paper underneath helps save your work surface ) This blotting causes excess oil to wick out of the frets . Then I carefully wipe away the excess from the surface and then hang it to dry for at least a day or longer . I also use Deft and try to spray the majority of the fret work from the back first , turning the piece to all four sides in the process . Most of my work is one-sided so this works well for me. When fully dry, I usually burnish with a brown paper bag
Hope this helps some

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Do you use brew your own? I mean like 50:50 BLO/Spirits or Tung/Terps (my personal favorite). They seem to penetrate better and dry much faster, but the vapors are toxic and combustible, so you need a well ventilated set up (of course, you need that for spraying Deft anyway).

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy, I also use the dip method and only for a minute or two. Disposable turkey roating pans are great for this. After dipping I use a piece of construction wire over the pan to allow the excess to drip off. I find if you tilt the work the excess drips off better. After 5 minutes or so I blot or wipe off the excess. I have done this with Danish Oil, Tung Oil, 50/50 BLO and even Poly.

As far as the final Deft or Min-wax or other spray finishes here is what I do: First I lay the project on a flat surface I cover with newspaper. Put the front side down. Then holding the can at 45 degrees to the work I spray the project from all sides. A lazy susan helps. After 2 coats I flip the work over and repeat on the front.

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
I have never tried the dip method and don't like the results from spraying. This is one of the reasons I don't do too much fret work. I will try the dip method soon, but mostly I am doing intarsia. When using the dip method how do you finish the back board behind the fret work? they say not to put finish on backboard before attaching the fret work to it , because the glue you use to apply the fret work to the backboard won't hold.
rita

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I did mostly thick (for scrollwork) hardwood pieces that had felt backing like this:

bobcat.jpg

Yeah, I should have used a smaller drill bit; live and learn. :eusa_doh:

That's about 3/4" thick. It's a double edged sword, though. It's hard to get the oil out, even thinned. I don't have an air compressor but I found out a leaf blower works pretty well. :gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When using the dip method how do you finish the back board behind the fret work? they say not to put finish on backboard before attaching the fret work to it , because the glue you use to apply the fret work to the backboard won't hold.
rita

Rita, the answer is to use gorilla glue, CA glue or even 30 minute epoxy for attaching it. I apply these with a tooth pick. Becareful with gorilla glue as it expands when it dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS