How To Find the Deals Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Some of your techies will already know this little trick, so this is for the not-so-technically-inclined who want to try their hand at finding great deals online ... especially on Craigslist.

The shortcoming of Craigslist is that you can't search all Craigslist sites in one move. Craigslist is not just one website ... it's many websites all over the world. So ... that makes it messy.

In comes Google.

It's too simple, but this is what you have to do. Just pick the words you want to search for, and then in the search box also include site:craigslist.org (no spaces!). This will work with any domain you choose. The results will be a standard Google search results page, but now the results will be limited to only those with the craigslist.org domain.

GOOD LUCK! :icon_thum And don't say I never gave you anything! :gar-La;

searchcraigslist.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
One other thing ... it does not always know what craigslist postings are still active, so you might have to hunt thru a lot of dirt to find a gem!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I just found http://www.craigshelper.com it allows you to search all the craigslist with a specified radius, i believe it is the location of the city as opposed to where the ads are posted from. never the less i find it helpful.

I believe all they are doing is hooking into Google. If my memory serves me right, the Google search engine allows a programmer to hook into all of that information. I'll have to double-check on that though.

russellellis

New User
Russell
ive used pipes.yahoo a lot. its tricky to get a hang of it, but you can search all of sites like craigslist but even more so, you can select words to filter, location/place and price as well.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Jeremy, thank you for sharing this tip. I always wondered how people searched all over the state, country, etc. assuming that they weren't searching individual pages. Great info to have! :icon_thum

Outa Square

New User
Al
It basically pulls up the site for each city in one page. I googled craigslist search tools and found it. Although i just tried crazedlist.org and i think i like it better.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I believe all they are doing is hooking into Google. If my memory serves me right, the Google search engine allows a programmer to hook into all of that information. I'll have to double-check on that though.

Well, I might be wrong ... I thought for sure I had read about this in an API doc or something a while back, but no evidence of it in a quick search (on Google, of course). Not sure how they are doing that then!

I'm keeping that site bookmarked ... like it. Just another tool in the bag!:gar-La;

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Addendum to that handy tip: you can also set a date range in Google's advanced search, from 1 wk to whenever, which helps weed out old expired ads.

Other nice thing about Google advanced - you can specify multiple combinations of the same words, since not everyone lists things the same way.

cskipper

Cathy
Hallelujah! I've been clicking on on the cities within a radius and searching. Bless you all for the guidance.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
There is another way, use a "Crazedlist" search. It allows you to search Craig's list by clicking on a dots and searching any or all sites in NC (any state, east coast (any region), all US, any/all cities- any combination you want. Craig'slist put a fix in to discourage it by looking at a setting in your computer. Crazedlist found a way around it, but haven't tried it lately. It required you to disable a setting (referrers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS