How do your dry and store your lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Please help a newbie out as I prepare to purchase my first 100BF of White Oak from Jeff. I have found information on larger operations, but how do you guys handle the drying and store your lumber? I appreciate your insight. Pics are always helpful!

Thanks,
Michael

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a open sided barn/shed/lean-to that I stack and sticker my non-kiln dried wood in. It has good air flow but keeps the rain off the stack. The most important thing is to stack and sticker the wood properly with a good amount of weight on the top to help keep the pile flat. I've used BORG 1 x 6" pine boards for stickers (ripped to 3/4 x3/4"), and also plywood. Anything that is dry and of consistant thickness will work. I put stickers about every 16", placing the next row of stickers directly above the ones below.
HTH, Dave:)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
This is what 100bf of 5/4 Walnut looks like racked up in my shed:

It's made w/14" 2X4s laminated with scrap T-111 siding. I used yellow glue and brads for the lamination. 4" 5/8" through hexbolts and a couple deck screws (to hold the support during drilling) attach them to the wall studs. The stickers are surveying stakes ripped in half and spaced every 14". You can also use 1/2" PVC pipe for stickers. May be cheaper and will not stain the wood (or try to kick back when you rip them DAMHIK:oops: )
I left ~.5" lateral and 3/4" vertical spacing between each board.
There is a similar 8ft tall one in my shop made just like Vanguard did here: Lumber Rack

(Has anyone heard from Vanguard btw?)

See you on Feb 11.
Mark

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the insight guys :icon_thum . Another newbie question: If you are just air drying the lumber, what moisture content have you been able to get it down to? If it is used for furniture, is there any change once it is brought into a conditioned environment?

Mark, thanks for the visuals! They are a huge help and I look forward to meeting you in Feb. I have a shed that has some under utilized wall space. Had never even thought about it.

DaveO, I'd like to meet you sometime. We live off of Mial Plantation; a stone's throw from Clayton. I'm just getting started and always interested in learning something new.

Thanks again. Please add your 2 cents. Maybe I'm not the only person looking for answers on this subject.

Michael

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Michael, the best you will be able to air dry to in this climate, under ideal conditons is 12%. In a climate controlled environment, wood can get as dry as 6-8% which is why you should allow you wood to dry a little further, ideally, in the environment where it will finally reside.

I pass by Mial Plantation everyday on my way to pick up my daughter at Riverwood Daycare. I live about 15 minutes from there. I am always up for meeting someone new from the site :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Excellent Dave! I use to work for a certain builder/state senator in that area. Anyway, would like to meet up at some point and thanks as always for the information.

Michael

jmauldin

New User
Jim
A friend of mine bought one of those "restored" "used" 53' tractor trailers and parked it behind his shop. I think he got one of the "refrigerated" kind so it is insulated. Anyway, he installed louvers for air flow. He has it full of som e of the most be beautiful walnut and quarter-sawn oak you have ever seen! (Darn, I hate that guy!). Anyway, it works for him.
Just a thought. I store mine in a lean-to shed built on the back of my shop - 12x30, enclosed on three sides. However, I have just discovered I have a problem and I am going to have to take care of. I pulled out a piece of 5 quarter oak the other day and it was infested with powder-post bettles.
Jim in Mayberry

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Dare I say it? Ok, Nice Rack.

I think I will dispense with the shelves I use for drying and exchange it for something more like this. Clean and simple.

This is what 100bf of 5/4 Walnut looks like racked up in my shed:

It's made w/14" 2X4s laminated with scrap T-111 siding. I used yellow glue and brads for the lamination. 4" 5/8" through hexbolts and a couple deck screws (to hold the support during drilling) attach them to the wall studs. The stickers are surveying stakes ripped in half and spaced every 14". You can also use 1/2" PVC pipe for stickers. May be cheaper and will not stain the wood (or try to kick back when you rip them DAMHIK:oops: )
I left ~.5" lateral and 3/4" vertical spacing between each board.
There is a similar 8ft tall one in my shop made just like Vanguard did here: Lumber Rack

(Has anyone heard from Vanguard btw?)

See you on Feb 11.
Mark

DavidF

New User
David
I have to say that I don't store wood at all! except all the offcuts during a project and then all but the biggest ones get dumped afterwards. I have never had the room nor the inclination to spend on wood for a "yet to be determined" project. I buy as required at the beginning of the build. I tend not to go out to the shop and just "knock something up" for the fun of it. Most are a long time in the planning. Maybe different if I did turning,but even then the wood pile could be small. I let good wood retailers store my KD lumber for me:lol:

J

jeff...

Woodguy seems to have a pretty good handle on air drying, a picture speaks 1000 words.

walnutstacked1.jpg

Your going to want to let it air dry for several months, to bring the mostiure content down to 12~16%. Then restack indoors along with a dehumidifer and bring the MC down to 6~8%.

I think there are a couple of keys to consider, keep the stack tight. like John, I use 1" ratchet straps, re-tighten every so often, however some folks use weight. The second key is to keep it covered, like John I also use some old tin for a make shift roof. Third thing don't try and force it dry to quickly when you de-humidify it, uncover and give it a few days break, after a week or two.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
OK, here's another spin on the question...
How far apart should supports be when drying or storing lumber, assuming 4/4 thickness?
I was just contemlating this yesterday since I need to build a rack in my shop to free up some floor space....:eusa_thin

J

jeff...

I have the same rack setup in my shop as Tarhead. My studs are on 24" centers and I have not had any noticable problems with warping. I would think anywhere from 12 - 24" would be good enough. Ofcourse the closer the better.

Thanks

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who have lent their advice. I got my hands on a publication at work "Drying Small Quantities of Green hardwoods" that was put out by the USDA Forest Service years ago (NC-228). The diagram pictured in it is a simplified version of the photo posted. You guys really do your homework! That's why I have become addicted to this site.....great info from nice people.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks to all who have lent their advice. I got my hands on a publication at work "Drying Small Quantities of Green hardwoods" that was put out by the USDA Forest Service years ago (NC-228). The diagram pictured in it is a simplified version of the photo posted. You guys really do your homework! That's why I have become addicted to this site.....great info from nice people.

Michael is there a digital version of that publication? Yes there is. If so, can you provide the link? Here is the link.

Thanks,

Last edited:
J

jeff...

That link is here http://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rp/rp_nc228.pdf

I havn't read it yet, but plan too today. I was born naked and dumb, information makes me smarter, as for the naked part well.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Chris,
I'm not an engineer but my 100bf walnut (~550lbs max) spread out over 10ft of linear wall with supports spaced every 28" is very secure. If you are concerned or want to load it up with lots more you can always space them every 14". May also to consider the number of times you will need to access the bottom board when you start stacking. It will always be the straightest, prettiest, etc:lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS