Hose Bib repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I have a customer that has Woodford model 17 hose bibs on her house. Both of them are leaking from the anti-siphon valve on the top.

Anyone know how that little plastic cap comes off? I tried turning it, and pulling on it. Frankly I'm a little hesitant to use much force, I don't want to break anything and then be responsible to hire a plumber to replace the valves. They have crimped plastic pipes on the inside of the crawl space, and I don't have the crimper, nor do I want one.

I would like to be able to repair the valves for her, and think it should be pretty simple. She can't afford a plumber. I spent a little time last night looking around online to see if I could find out how they come apart, but didn't see anything.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Matt, I am wondering if you may have to pull the entire valve assembly to free up the anti-siphon bit???

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I cut and pasted this from 'allexperts' website. It was in answer to a question about repairing the woodford 17: I don't know if it will help or not, but it is all I came across.

Hi Bob, after you unscrew the packing nut and turn the valve open, keep turning it open further, it will unscrew and pull the packing out with it. you will have to pull hard while turning counter clock wise but it will come out, now, you may have trouble finding a new stem only so you may have to purchase the same whole hose bibb and remove the stem from the new one and install it in the old one, that will save you from having to solder a new valve. the packing will try to keep the stem in so pull hard and turn. you may be able to get a replacement stem but the cost will be the same if not more than buying a new hose bibb. jason

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Bob,
Thanks for the reply, but that is for the main valve stem, and not for the anti-siphon. The stem section is fine, I need to be able to repair the anti-siphon part on the top.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
Ok..try again.
Supposedly the part # for the anti-siphon repair kit is Woodford 35301. It costs around 2.50 and has installation instructions included in the kit (at least that is what they claim). I would think a place like Nolan would stock it, but if not just put 'woodford 35301' in Google and it should be around the first thing on the list.

good luck.....and by the way I HATE PLUMBING!:BangHead:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Matt -

I have found that if I go to the local "____" supply/parts house (in this case "plumbing"), they are usually extremely helpful in information as well as parts. I do this with plumbing, electrical, auto or whatever problem I'm having. I'm talking about a specialty house, not a BORG.

George

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matt, Ferguson Supply stocks those hose bibs, but I'm not sure how they come apart.

If you need to borrow some PEX crimpers, I have 1/2", 3/4", and 1" crimpers that you're welcome to use.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS