Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Mike
Well Since Jeff was nice enough to bring some holly pen blanks up to the lumber fest I thought I would give one a shot. Luckily the boss didn't catch me drying the blank in the microwave :-D

I was going to turn it so it was just the holly but I just had to add a Black & white Ebony center band to it :)

Holly_Slim_with_Black_White_Ebony_Center_Band.JPG

This stuff really is tough on the white balance when taking a photo

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dozer, you wasted no time turning a pen out of the Holly. Very nice pen :eusa_clap Did you have any problems keeping the Holly clean while sanding???
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That's another gorgeous pen Dozer. I've never seen Holly used before. I think the band you added really goes well with the clean look of the barrel. Good job. BTW, I'm still counting on that lesson :eusa_danc

J

jeff...

Err hum - you had to nuke it? I thought they were already dry I nuked em for 30 sec on high 8 times. But that is a elegant pen, I love holly it's so clean and easy to work.

dozer

Mike
Dave I had no problems keeping the holly clean just use a really light touch and never let your sand paper get hot.

Jeff, when I tested with a moisture meter they were still around 18% so I nuked it for a little bit.

Tom, I nuked it on high for 45 seconds then let it cool off I did that 5 times.

J

jeff...

Dave I had no problems keeping the holly clean just use a really light touch and never let your sand paper get hot.

Jeff, when I tested with a moisture meter they were still around 18% so I nuked it for a little bit.

Tom, I nuked it on high for 45 seconds then let it cool off I did that 5 times.

WOW - are all the blanks you picked up that way? I wonder if I might have mistakenly picked up a wet one or heck I may have not dried them all the way, that would really stink :BangHead:

BTW I'm stealing your picture for my post over on IAP, that is if you don't mind?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Overall a nice pen and I compliment you on your modification.
Since you didn't ask for a critique I'll offer a couple of suggestions.
A few comments about the pen itself.The finish looks good but is hard to tell from the picture.
The middles scetion where the two sections meet seems too "blocky"
There appears to be a slight taper in the upper section of the lower barrel that "dissapears" into the center band.That may be a photographic "optical dillusion"
IT is accentuated but the sqaured off appearance of the CB. Try"rounding over" the bottom edge of the CB.This will serve two purposes.I believe the appearance will be enhanced and it will help prevent "chipping" of that edge.

Nice Dozer. How long at what power did you nuke the blank?

Tom-
multiple cycles at half power for about 45 seconds each.
Weigh the blank before you start and after each cyle, don't leave the blank in the nuke while it cools off otherwise it will reabsorb the moisture.
Whne the wiegth doesn't change the blank is dry.
If you don't have a diet scale, put the blank in a plastic bag while nuking.When the amount of condesation in the bag reduces, you are through.
Caution should be taken to use low power for short periods of time, blanks have been known to smolder on the inside.
Depending on the blank I have done this as many as 20 cycles.
ONe other word of caution.Cut the blanks oversized.Because you are ineffect "boiling" the moisture in the wood, the shape can distort and some checking may occur

Dozer, you wasted no time turning a pen out of the Holly. Very nice pen :eusa_clap Did you have any problems keeping the Holly clean while sanding???
Dave:)

One thing I have noticed about holly is that it is soft.
I use thin CA on the blank and bushings before sanding.
This "hardens the wood" so the fibers "shear" and there is no transfer of metal to the blank.
Contrary to misinformed people,clean MM will not stain wood.

J

jeff...

Overall a nice pen and I compliment you on your modification.

One thing I have noticed about holly is that it is soft.
I use thin CA on the blank and bushings before sanding.
This "hardens the wood" so the fibers "shear" and there is no transfer of metal to the blank.

Eagle you really think holly is soft? I think it was pretty tough - you need to some talk to my saw blade and tell em to shape up. :lol:

Thanks

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Eagle you really think holly is soft? I think it was pretty tough - you need to some talk to my saw blade and tell em to shape up. :lol:

Thanks
I guess there are different kinds of holly.
The only stuff I have ever turned was from my neighbors yard.
It was the "bush" kind.
I know there are holly trees but I have never turned that.
I am always looking for a "white" hard wood for accents.
Got any "board" stock?

J

jeff...

I have some board stock 12 ~20" wide 5/4 thick 8' long, let me know what you want. Would be good if you could limit to fit in a flatrate box.

Thanks

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Is that rough sawn or finished dimension?
I normally look for a generous 3/4" or 1" tops.
There's one box that will take a piece 11&1/2 inches long by whatever.
How much will that cost?I certainkly don't need the wide premium stuff.
What do you have for off cuts?
I can use 5&1/2 long

J

jeff...

Eagle that's rough sawn, fresh off the log - PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a flat rate box full.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors