Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
From CL-Ral

fresh holly logs - trade wood for help cutting - $1

Reply to: sale-577255575@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-02-17, 4:23PM EST

I have 4 smallish fresh cut holly logs rescued from the curb. The biggest is about 8" in diameter and the smallest is about 3". They are all about 2.5' long. I just spayed the ends with clear sealer for the moment. I don't have a big bandsaw and I don't want to butcher it on the tablesaw. My need for holly is for small pieces. If I just got a few thin boards out of the smallest one, I would be happy. I would be glad to let you have the rest of it in return for cutting it. The biggest log should yield a few turning blocks and there are plenty of tool handles, chess pieces or whatever in the smaller logs. I am near 1010 and Kildaire Farm Road and I work near North Hills, so I could drop them off anywhere in between pretty easily. Holly runs about $15+ a board foot milled and dried and is sometimes substituted for ivory.

Email if interested.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pretty "smallish" stuff. Not gonna yield much, even turning stock, unless your thinking pen blanks.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

My experience with nuking (microwave drying) holly pen blanks: they want to collapse in the center so if your wanting 3/4" sq x 5" finished blank, start with 5/4" sq x 6". Seal the ends with ancorseal before nuking and again about 3 cycles later else they will split. During the last two cycles (usually 7 and 8) put a VERY wet paper towel over your stack of blanks to help prevent burning the blanks. Unsealed blanks split very easily in the nuker.

Also the quicker you can get them in the nuker from the time the trees were cut the whiter the holly wood will be. Air makes em turn a cream color right quick, store wet blanks in ziplock baggies, till you can get around to drying them. you don;t want to coat the entire blank with ancorseal it impedes drying hence the reason they collapse in the center.

Holly is a hard one to dry in the nuker don't seal the ends it splits, seal the ends it likes to collapse in the center but not split. They burn supper easy to so watch em closely.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS