Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Sat. morning I'm on my way to get gas for my truck and get stopped for a traffic light. People at the house by the light are setting up for a yard sale and something catches my eye so I pull over. They are bringing out a mortiser. All that's on the name plate is "Mortising Machine Model MS3612 Made in China". Plate on motor says 1/2 HP, 3.9 Amps, 3400 RPM, Class E. The metal is a darkish blue color. It has a 1/4 bit and chisel installed and a new, still in box 1/2 and 5/8 bit & chisel. The small wood tabletop under the clamps has a small silver sticker which says RAND. Yes, it went home with me. (I know, "no picture, no gloat!" but my camera has gone crazy.)

My problem is that it has no instructions and I have never used a mortiser before. Is there anything special to do when changing bits & chisels or lining everything up???

Did I mention that it cost less that the 3/4 tk. of gas for my truck?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great find Skeeter!

The specs appear to be better than the HF models. I have considered purchasing one, but they are only 2.3 amp with a 1/2 shank.

Hey, YOU SUCK!

Sapwood

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Others can chime in with more specifics but I know that on mine you need to provide a little clearance for the bit within the chisel to avoid heating and that you need to make sure that you square the chisel to the fence. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Sounds like a nice score :icon_thum

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I think you did ok Skeeter-------SteveD pretty much covered it. Have the chisel parallel or square off the fence. The bit should be about the thickness oa a dime below the chisel points. That allows the bit to start cutting before the chisel makes contact. Turn the slot on the chisel to one side so you dont cover up what you are mortising and can easily see in front. The hold down should just clear the top surface of what you are mortising---if the chisel gets stuck you can push back up on the handle to free it and the workpiece can not follow.

As always sharpness of the bit/chisel is important. Hartville tools had a set of stones just for mortisers. Stones made to sharpen the bit and the inside of the chisel.

One more tip-------do not try to bottom out on that first plunge, the chisel will bind. Alternate on either side if the first cut and back to the original starting point nibbling away in several adjoining places until you reach full depth at one spot. Then you can bottom out on successive cuts if you wish. However-I usually continue the nibbling approach and the tooling does not heat up as bad.:) You will develop a feel for it pretty quickly.

Hope this helps--------but practice helps the most.

Jerry

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
yup it was there,,still thinking,,,still thinking,,,you know the general is calling my name,,,and I have some other commisioned work to get done,,wanna help me on what free time you have and we can split the profit,,that way we both can support our habbit,,let me know,,I have a large bar table that has to be done in a week. im doing it for a good friend but i have the materials already and we both could walk away with a couple hundred,,,let me know bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors