Hold on. Hold down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Ok, this time I'm serious ... the last one for a while. The birthday money is now REALLY gone.

And YES, I have a workbench for these (I just want to build a bigger one!) ... so I'm planning ahead (yeah, cart before the horse ... I know!)

IMG_01781.JPG

I'll also use this time to show-off my little shop helper

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
The Veritas® Surface Clamps are awesome. I want to get another one. I have one of the Veritas® Wonder Dogs too. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought two of the surface clamps. I don't have the Veritas® Hold-Downs, let us know if you like them better than the surface clamps. I guess for larger pieces you can't use the surface clamps.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jeremy,

Is this another craigslist find? I would like to have some of the left overs if there is any :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; Just joshun' Nice haul

Mike

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Very nice! I have one of the wonder dogs and wish I had some more - they are not cheap. You will get totally addicted to the marking rule - that thing makes measuring precise. For the hold downs I use the plain iron ones; I prefer to bash things with a mallet than turn anything, but those sure do look nice. That is a nice haul!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The shop helper is the best part of this gloat. Adorned with the required safety glasses. Just too cute. And the hold downs are ok too:gar-La;.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
For the hold downs I use the plain iron ones; I prefer to bash things with a mallet than turn anything, but those sure do look nice. That is a nice haul!

Who is the maker of the ones you are using? One of the magazines not too long ago compared hold-downs of this type and I think came to the conclusion that the Veritas ones were pretty darn good, but I think they too favored some made by a couple blacksmiths in the US (but I don't remember who).

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Who is the maker of the ones you are using? One of the magazines not too long ago compared hold-downs of this type and I think came to the conclusion that the Veritas ones were pretty darn good, but I think they too favored some made by a couple blacksmiths in the US (but I don't remember who).

I think he might be talking about the Gramercy also. They fit 3/4" holes just like the Veritas.

MS-HOLDFASTXX_big.gif

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I have both the Gramercy and Jorgenson (4 1/2") holdfasts. The Gramercy ones are real nice and have a long reach, but they are heavier and don't work as well in my Blum work bench (I think they require a little more depth). So I mostly use the Jorgenson ones. (Gary Blum sells them: http://www.blumtoolco.com/ under clamps and they are on Amazon also http://www.amazon.com/REACH-BENCH-HOLD-DOWN-CLAMP-JORGENSEN/dp/B000KUVQEY/ref=pd_sim_hi_6) . They hold down with great force, as does the Gramercy when I use it on my deeper bench.

I usually stick a piece of leather belt on the end to stop any marking.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Gramercy, by name, doesn't ring a bell ... then again, not sure I'd remember the name anyway. I do remember the holding end of the ones they really favored had what looked like a leaf design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors