Hock Blade Purchase (and just a few more things)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello friends, I originally started out asking the question which would you buy, Hock blades for refurbed Baileys or WoodRiver handplanes. Here is the original thread
http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f30/hock-blades-chipbreakers-woodrivers-31500/

After reading all of the good advice i decided to go with the Hock Blades and use the stock chippers. Then my wife told me while i was on R&R from Iraq she said that I should purchase something for myself as a consolation to the end of the deployment (Still not home yet but very close). (I told her she faced as much hardship as I had, just different, I bought her a new Dell laptop) So aside from the Hock blades (and the agreed amount for my spending spree) this is what I was able to fit in the budget that I was working with. I am very blessed to make such a purchase, that I have a loving wife that understands my passion for woodworking, and thank the Lord that we so far have been safe while deployed. I will do some reviews once I get back and put the new tools through the paces. My bounty is below.

Veritas® 1:8 Guide with Saw Item 05T0302
Truing Stone for Water Stones Item 08M1530
Right-Hand Edge Plane Item 05P0301
Steel Point Scriber, 2-3/8” Item 30N2801
Standard Dovetail Saw, 14 tpi Item 05T0501
Mortise Chisel, 6mm (1/4”) Item 55J0506
Plow Plane with 5 Blades (1/8”, 1/4”, 3/16”, 5/16”, 3/8”) Item 05P5120
Veritas® Low-Angle Jack Plane, A2 Item 05P3401
Honing Compound, 6.0 oz Item 05M0801
Veritas® Low-Angle Spokeshave Item 05P3201
Austrian Drawknife Item 64K0102
2” x 7” Hock Plane Blade Item 19P2004 (1ea)
1-3/4” x 7” Hock Plane Blade Item 19P2003 (1ea)
2-3/8” x 7” Hock Plane Blade Item 19P2005 (2ea)

No pictures yet, the order was just placed today. All of it was through LeeValley, I took advantage of free shipping that they have until the 11th. (I have no affiliation with LeeVally, they just make good tools and have great service) Have a blessed day friends.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
First, thanks for your service! I really respect and appreciate all you and your family put on the line for us.

Second, D. A. N. G.!!!!!

You could sell tickets to the UPS Box Opening :)

One tiny thing I just learned this morning, on that flattening stone. Norton sells a Flattening Stone Prep stone. It "supposedly" creates a slurry that helps keep the stone flatter and reduce the gouging.

I am quite taken with the flattening stone, but the deep grooves it put in my 1000k + stones was troubling. Got one on order, we'll see what we'll see.

Whats next? A Flattening Stone Prep Stone Flattening Stone Stone......

Enjoy all the fun you got on the way!!!

Jim

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
froglips- Ya i I am very blessed to be able to make such a purchase. I cant wait to [STRIKE]play[/STRIKE]..errr.. efficiently use the new [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE]..errr tools. Thanks for the advice on the flattening stone prep stone. Would you advise to keep with my current method of very fine automotive sandpaper to flatten my finer stones? 1000+? Where did you purchase the prep stone? Cost? As always thank you very much for your advice. You were one of the greatest influences to my original question concerning Hock blades or WoodRiver planes. Thanks again and have a blessed day.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Michael,

Thank you so much for your service to our country. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The list of new toys is just too much for me to think about - WOW!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Please post pics of the ensemble once you get them opened up.

Congrats on a well deserved gift.

Chuck

Edit to add:

I'd like to know what you think about the plow plane, LA shave, and drawknife after you've driven them for a while. I've been tempted for a while, just need a gentle nudge.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
You are very lucky to have a supportive wife. Those will work well for you if you are a "cry once" when you pay for it type of person. Just think that you are not buying that tool for you, but for a grandchild. You're just breaking it in until you can give it to him/her.

I've had varying success with the refurb projects and even with the Jack Plane I got working well, I'm going to have to buy a new blade pretty soon, so might as well go Hock. I'm getting to the point of wanting multiple planes of the same type with different setups and I want to spend more time on projects than fiddling with tools

As for sharpening, I have a 1200/6000 waterstone I got for about $30. Add to that a $3 piece of leather and "green" metal polish for stropping and I can shave my arm with just about any blade I have.

Take care and thanks for your service.

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My pleasure. I love helping others spend their hard earned woodworking toy money :)

Forgive my lengthy commentary, I'm smitten with this flattening stone :swoon:......

I have the same Norton Flattening/Truing Stone you ordered.

Found I could use in on my 800, 1000 and 4000 water stones. The finer the stone, the less pressure to keep from excessive scratching.

It can put deeper scratches in the stones, but ironically, those scratches help with sharpening. Some folks go as far as to file grooves in their stones. Breaks up the surface tension.

Crazy stuff, this sharpening obsession :)

The Prep stone lists for $16, I'm ordering one from Hartville part #64240 Can't find the answer, but I tend to suspect its just the synthetic nygura stone.....

I don't see any reason not to use the automotive paper. I'll report back once I've played with the Prep stone.

I will say that the Truing stone is fast and easy to use in my overall waterstone setup. I also prefer beating it up as opposed to a $150 diamond stone.

Last warning, the Truing stone DOES NOT COME FLAT!!! I, and sadly too many others, learned this the hard way. A few minutes on some sandpaper/glass will save you a lot of head scratching and inappropriate abuse of the mother tongue.

Jim

froglips- Ya i I am very blessed to be able to make such a purchase. I cant wait to [STRIKE]play[/STRIKE]..errr.. efficiently use the new [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE]..errr tools. Thanks for the advice on the flattening stone prep stone. Would you advise to keep with my current method of very fine automotive sandpaper to flatten my finer stones? 1000+? Where did you purchase the prep stone? Cost? As always thank you very much for your advice. You were one of the greatest influences to my original question concerning Hock blades or WoodRiver planes. Thanks again and have a blessed day.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
CatButler-Ya I thought the same thing when I placed my order that was expensive. But its a buy once thing.

Froglips-Thanks for the heads-up on the flattening stone, I will make sure that I throw it on some sandpaper before i use it. I will place an order for the prep stone next payday if i can swing it

cpowell-I will let you know what i think about the plow, shave, and drawknife, I have read really good reviews about the first two, I cant find anything on the draw. But as long as it keeps a good edge I will be cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS