Hi from Cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Hi everyone!

I am James "cad" Holland. I got that nickname from being a CAD designer/programmer for 23 yrs. That will end Feb 2006 though, and I have been putting some serious effort into my woodturning.

I have loved woodworking since I was old enough to borrow my dad's saw and hammer. I made many pieces of furniture in my home now which have been treasured by me and my family since they were introduced. The last 14 months I have put serious effort into making a business out of turned wood items and retail my art work from my website http://handturnedbowls.biz

Hopefully this will become a reality soon, as my last day at the day job is fast approaching.

I found your website looking for drill chucks, of all things. When I saw it was just for NC woodworkers, I had to look closer, and did not take long deciding to become a member of your collective. I hope I can meet many of you, and share shop talk with you. One thing in particular I would like to know from any of you is where I can find affordable hardwood from the mill that is not so far away from my hometown of Clinton, NC.

I have looked far and wide for large sizes of hardwood suitable for turning on my lathe. I am especially looking for 6x6 lumber in hardwood. Most of the places I have found are in western NC, much farther than I can drive. My health limits how long I can sit in a car.

My shop is a homeade creation, made from a steel crate that a large punch machine was shipped in, 12' x 18'. I ribbed it with lumber, put a truss roof on top and skinned it with vinyl. You can bet its hurricane proof too. The crate is made of steel angle and I-beams!

I have designed and made many of the tools I use in my shop. My day career has taught me many things in 23 yrs. I was a machinist for 10 years, then went into CAD the remaining 13. I hope to share some of this info with you in the coming months at the site.

It is a pleasure to meet all of you, and I hope to hear from you.

Be sure to visit my website.

cad

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Cad, thanks for stopping by! There are a few of us on the site that use CAD, 2D and 3D, but few with your experience; looking forward to exchanging info.

Try looking in the "where can I buy" forum or the NC wood suppliers link on the left of the page.

Looking forward to seeing some pics - make sure you get an album set up by going to "other links" and get a photo album.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, James. I took several minutes to look at your website and you really produce some beautiful work. I applaud your using "found" wood for most of your projects -- I a firm believer in using downed wood, too. There are several turners on our site that will chime it and you'll find we're a friendly bunch, unlike many national sites. Be sure to request a Photo Gallery by picking that option under the "Other Links" choice on the Main Menu bar.

I've dabbled in CAD for several years and currently use TurboCAD 10.2 Professional. I use it for basic cabinetry design and layout in 2D mode and I'm trying to learn 3D as well. I do a few commissioned pieces and enjoy my retirement with woodworking as a hobby and as a small supplement when I can (I designing a large entertainment center and bookcases for a neighbor now).

Again, welcome to the forum. Rob

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hi Cad. I'm glad you found us. This is a pretty laid back site, with lots of talented people. I just visited your site, and all I can say, it you just upped the talent level! I have just started turning, doing pens now, but I loved it from the first time I tried. One of our members have put together a good list or wood sources in the Where can I buy Forum (As DavidF mentioned). You can find that particular post here. And here is the wood supplier list also previously mentioned ( I always takes me forever to find that list )

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Wow, you guys are great. But then you are from North Carolina arent you?!!

Thank you for the nice comments, and BIG thanks for the tip on lumber suppliers.

Right now, I have a Big oak tree nearly 6 feet in diameter that was downed by a storm that has been nagging me to come and get the beautiful spalted wood it conceals. But workin a day job makes it tough to do this when you have a terrble back.

So I appreciate the info on where to look, compliments on my turning, and the great friendly voices. You can count on seeing me here a lot.

cad

clowman

Clay Lowman
Be sure you put a dot on the NCWoodworker's Frapper Map Cad... That link is here . Oh, and photo Albums are availiable to all members. So be sure you request that.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Welcome to the site. I really enjoyed looking at your work. I am just starting to do bowls and your gallery gave me some good ideas. I am mainly doing small objects on a mini lathe at this point. Keep up the good work.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there Cad,

Absolutely beautiful work! You have a very impressive Website as well. Did you design it yourself? I must say that you certainly have a great variety of bowl turnings and I am sure you can do very well at it commercially!

Great to see you here and look forward to your woodturning advice. (I just started contemplating a midi lathe to see how I enjoy it.)

Again. Great to have you and I am sure that you will enjoy yourself with this bunch!:lol:

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, again! Haven't yet made it to your website, but I have a feeling I will be very impressed. Hope you are figuring out how to navigate everything alright.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cad, welcome to the site and we look forward to hanging out with you. I'm afraid to look at your website after all the glowing reports :lol:

Sapwood

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Welcome from another newbie to the site. I visited your website. Beautiful work!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I don't do any turning but have always enjoyed watching someone that can. My father-in-law did a little on a lathe that he built out of scrap pipes, etc.

JRD

New User
Jim
Welcome Cad. As a woodturner too I understand the desire to find good sources of different wood species.

I have limited all my turnings to storm damaged trees, or ones being cut down in the neighborhood. While that generally will keep me with enough to work on, I'd be interested if you find any other sources.

Are you looking to find green or dried wood? I look forward to seeing more of your work.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cad, welcome aboard. Those are some great looking turnings you have on your web site.:icon_thum I am glad you elected to join us and I look forward to seeing more of your work as well as reading your input in our forums.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Cad, welcome to our little piece of virtual NC. I took a look at your site and was very impressed:icon_thum

BTW, if you would like your website listed in the member website box on the left, let me know by PM. Just let me know what the title should be and the URL.

BTW, that goes for anyone.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Thank you Dolan,
I was a machinist for 10 yrs, doing tool and die and design work as well. In that time I built my first lathe from scrap metal I had access to on that job. I used that old lathe for about 20 yrs before I got serious and bought a cast iron bed lathe.

Thanks for the compliments.

cad

dlane6110 said:
Welcome from another newbie to the site. I visited your website. Beautiful work!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I don't do any turning but have always enjoyed watching someone that can. My father-in-law did a little on a lathe that he built out of scrap pipes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS